Latter Day Saints Students Association to host movie night April 4

Photo courtesy: google

Rachel Crawford, Staff Writer

On Monday April 4, at 8 p.m., the Latter Day Saints Student Association (LDSSA) is showing the documentary film “Meet the Mormons” at the Barry B. Thompson Student Center amphitheater. In case of bad weather, Ballroom C is reserved.

“Meet the Mormons” is a film made by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They wanted to address the stereotypes the public has about the Mormon Church. The documentary shows the audience the day to day life of members of the church while also highlighting fundamental beliefs.

President of the LDSSA, Daniel Taylor, hopes the movie will address any stereotypes and educate students about the church. “For example, many people don’t know that Mormon is a nickname and not the actual name of the church and most do not even know where that name comes from.”

The LDSSA was formed in the fall of 2015, so this is only their second semester as an organization. Taylor wanted to get the word out to the student population about the organization and “let people know who we are and what we are about.”

In addition to this movie night, the LDSSA meets every Thursday from 8:00 to 9:30 p.m. in Room 104 of the O.A. Grant Humanities building. The group studies the holy texts of the church, which includes the Old and New Testaments from the Bible, The Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants. All are welcome to attend these meetings.

The LDSSA doesn’t just study scripture though. Every Monday starting at 8 p.m., they have a Family Home Evening. This practice was started in 1915 by the leaders of the church to encourage its members to spend time together.

“We have gone to the movie theater, played charades, lip sync battles, water balloon volleyball, and more,” Taylor said.

The organization also participates in service projects. For example, on March 19, members volunteered at the Cross Timbers Fine Arts Council’s silent auction and dinner at the Faith Lutheran Church here in Stephenville.

The LDSSA is open for all students to join and everyone is encouraged to attend the movie night.