Tarleton awarded more than $294,000 in USDA grant

Heather Capps/ JTAC News 2016

Rachel Crawford, Staff Writer

Tarleton State University’s College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences was recently awarded a $294,000 grant from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The program applied though the USDA’s National Institute for Food and Agriculture’s (NIFA) Capacity Building Grants Program for Non-Land-Grant Colleges of Agriculture (NLGCA). 

The Tarleton program was one of 60 institutions that applied to have won part of $4 million in competitive awards to further agriculture research and teaching. 

“These projects and programs will enhance the educational experience of students at non-land-grant institutions and help them create the needed solutions [for the challenges of the growing world population],” Director of the National Institute of Food & Agriculture, Dr. Sonny Ramaswamy, said.

The Tarleton gardening program has a “Sustainable Teaching Garden” that is located between the Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center and Lillian Street. They have also converted a few flower beds around the Joe W. Autry Agriculture Building into organic-pesticide free herb and vegetable gardens. 

According to Professor for Tarleton’s Department of Wildlife, Sustainability, and Ecosystems, Dr. Don Cawthon, “We hope to expand these efforts around campus and provide fresh vegetables to students, staff, and faculty for the picking.” 

The money the program received will be spread over many areas. Funds will be used for travel, supplies and salaries for both undergraduate and graduate students. The grant money will also focus on education, research, and outreach efforts in local food production in community gardens; nutritional benefits of fresh, healthy food and reduced food wastage. Money usage will also be focused on helping recruit undergraduate and graduate students into food-related careers. 

Cawthon says the school will partner with Sodexo, Texas A&M AgriLife Research, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension and the City of Stephenville. More partners with the program will be identified as the use of the grant money progresses. 

“University campuses—especially those with agricultural colleges—have a vital role to play in mitigating food shortages and dietary imbalances caused by the world’s rapidly rising population,” Cawthon explains. 

Along with the grant money, building Tarleton’s Sustainability program and supporting students who are majoring or minoring in Sustainability, along with adding new courses are scheduled to develop, covering such areas as composting, fruit production, medical nutritional therapy, organic agriculture, soils and land use, sustainable food systems and vegetable gardening. 

“We are excited to have the opportunity to be a part of a national movement focusing on local, healthy, and nutritious fresh food production and preparation. Everyone can look forward to a number of educational outreach programs on food production, food preparation, and nutritional benefits in the coming months.” Cawthon says.