Theatre at Tarleton Presents…

Still from Panglossian Productions run of “‘Night Mother”

Theatre at Tarleton State University has a long-standing history of bringing a variety of fun and lively stories to campus. This year, however, they are taking a small step from the big productions and getting a little more intimate. All five shows on schedule for this season call for a small number of people. 

“We picked our season this year because we are a very female heavy department,” said Mark Holtorf, Associate professor of theatre. “The selection of shows had to take that into account.” 

The first show of the season is Lopsided by Ellen Ann Kafkalas, which tells the story of a young woman battling breast cancer and the aftermath of it. Lopsided features a five member cast, consisting of four females and one male, and is a brand new play that has not yet been seen on stage. 

“I am very excited about the theatre kids doing a brand new play, especially with it being so close to Breast Cancer Awareness month,” said Prudence Jones, assistant professor and director of Lopsided. “And I am very excited that the cast will get to meet the playwright as well.” 

The children’s series show for this year is The Adventures of Treasure Island from the story by Robert Louis Stevenson, dramatized by Max Bush. The Adventures of Treasure Island chronicles the tale of a young boy named Jim Hawkins, his love for the open sea, and the adventure of a lifetime. Directed by myself, a senior theatre major, I am very excited about this play. It will be the first time that I have had the chance to direct on such a large stage, and for an actual audience. I can not wait to see what each designer and cast member brings to this show, and I am beyond thrilled to see it come to life.

The last show of the fall semester is Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley, which follows the life of the Magrath sisters from Mississippi as they reunite at their Old Granddaddy’s home. Crimes of the Heart is being directed by Associate professor Mark Holtorf.

“This show is very female-oriented, and I’m very excited to be directing it,” said Holtrof. “It’s a very heartwarming comedy and my favorite style of show to direct.”

Starting off the spring semester is the one musical that Tarleton puts on every year. This year’s selection is You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown based on the comic strip “PEANUTS” by Charles M. Schulz with book, music, and lyrics by Clark Gesner. Directing the musical is Associate professor Carol Stavish, whose last musical directing experience was in 2013 directing The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas. 

“I am most excited about working with Heather Hawk and the fact that it is such a small cast,” said Stavish. “We are able to focus on each individual character and really bring the Peanuts gang to life. I’ve loved Charles Schultz since I was a kid.”

The last show of the season is ‘night Mother by Marsha Norman and Marsha Williams. This show tells the story of a young girl who tells her mother at the beginning of the play that she is going to kill herself. The show only has two characters throughout the entire ninety minutes, and is also being directed by Holtorf.

“I’ve wanted to do this show for a long time,” said Holtorf. “It’s going to be extremely challenging but I am so excited to work on such a small intimate show, as a director and acting teacher. We tend to get shows with larger casts, but the idea of working with two actors on such an intimate and tragic story is really going to stretch me. It’s personal.”

For ticket information, visit www.tarleton.edu/theatre or call the Box Office at (254) 968-9634. 

Production dates:

Lopsided: Sept. 22-26, 2015

The Adventures of Treasure Island: 

Oct. 17, 2015

Crimes of the Heart: Nov. 10-14, 2015

You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown: 

Feb. 24-27, 2016

‘night Mother: Apr. 5-9, 2016