Back from The Windy City

Last week, 2.4 million people watched as the Tarleton State University marching band, The Sound and The Fury, marched down the streets of Chicago, Illinois in the 81st annual McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Tarleton was the only university asked to play, and was the only school from Texas present. Director Gary Westbrook and the other members of The Sound and The Fury most assuredly went above and beyond the call of duty, and did an excellent job representing the great state of Texas and, specifically, Tarleton.

The Sound and The Fury was comprised of about 100 students who were eager and excited to be able to be in a new city and represent their school and their families on such a big platform. When asked how some of the students felt after being back from such an amazing trip their responses were very positive.

“My favorite part about Chicago, besides getting engaged, was playing our school song before the parade while it was snowing,” said senior band member Laura Scott, whose boyfriend proposed to her during the trip.

Senior band member Sara Bolinger added, “Marching in the parade was so cool, especially when we played and sang ‘Deep in the Heart of Texas’.”

“Personally, the whole trip [was fulfilling],” said Westbrook. “It was just such an honor to be invited. It was such an honor to get to go, to represent Texas, the University, our college and department.”

When I was asked to be the band photographer and to accompany TSTF on their trip, I didn’t expect the parade to be as big of a platform for the band as it was. When we arrived in Chicago and realized that the band would also be surprising the entire group of high school kids with a performance, the players were overwhelmed with excitement. For TSTF to be asked to do such a cool thing, and make those kids so happy to see them play, was inspiring to watch.

“We were asked to perform for the other high school bands during their banquet,” Westbrook explained. “I know our band can turn it on and REALLY excite a crowd; but in this particular performance they were just amazing. The atmosphere was like a rock concert (or at least as close to a rock concert as a marching band can get). The high school students, directors and volunteers were very appreciative and their response to the performance was nothing short of electric. It was unexpected and very cool. I certainly feel this moment set the tone for the band’s parade performance the next day.”

The day of the parade, we were all up very early so that we could be dressed and ready to go by the time the parade started. With a temperature of 24 degrees and a wind chill of about 14 degrees, the incentive to get out of bed and be outside was not very high. However, every student was on time and ready to be on the bus when the time came. When we arrived at the holding area for the bands, the students were definitely ready to march and get out of the cold. However, being a band with a name that starts with a T, we had a long wait ahead of us. To keep warm, the band played warm up songs and danced along with some of the other bands as they warmed up as well.

After about two and a half hours of waiting and freezing, it was finally our turn. The band was instructed to play as much as they wanted, even before we got to the “TV Zone”. As soon as we started to walk, the band started to play and the people lit up. It was such an amazing sight to see my friends, and my little brother, being cheered for by over 400,000 people.

We passed one part of the parade route, and a man that was standing on the sidewalk asked if we were the band from Texas. I replied that we were, and he asked what our “nickname” was. I told him that we were the Texans, and obviously put up the TSU Texans hand sign, and he in return exclaimed and said, “They’re the band from Texas! GO TEXANS!” It was probably one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. I saw so many people clapping and singing along to Deep in the Heart of Texas, however my favorite moment was when the band played Carol of the Bells. It was such an amazing piece, and it really brought the holiday spirit into their performance.

“I certainly feel our students (and faculty) made memories that will last them a lifetime,” Westbrook said. “We certainly exposed many people to Tarleton State University. I think to sum up I could say the 2014 McDonald’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in Chicago was the right stage at the right time for The Sound & The Fury and the Tarleton State University band program. We revel in this victory and the friends and memories made. We rest. And then we look for the next stage. We look for the next opportunity to develop ourselves as musicians, band members and Texans. I look forward for our next opportunity to represent Tarleton and Bleed Purple.”

Being asked to document and be a part of such an amazing opportunity was wonderful for me. I am so grateful to Dr. Gary Westbrook and The Sound and the Fury for letting me take part in this trip.

“I constantly remind myself, and try to relay this to our students, that we have a responsibility to show our audience the best that Tarleton has to offer,” Westbrook said. “If they enjoy our enthusiasm and spirit, or our performance, or our how we carry ourselves and treat others, they may decide to explore deeper into Tarleton. We constantly try to be a walking Tarleton State University advertisement.”