Senior talents to begin art showings

Bonnie Prejean

Tarleton State University senior art majors will begin displaying their first exhibit today in the Clyde H Wells Fine Arts Center. The first show was created by Megan Bise and Julie St. Valentine and will be displayed April 17-19.

“I would hope that my work would inspire students to try water colors and to experience all the possibilities this medium has,” St. Valentine said. “My inspiration comes from the period of abstract expressionism of the 40’s and 50’s, dealing with emotion at the moment you make the piece.”

The next showing will take place April 20-23 by Bonnie Prejean and Letitia Steward.

“I hope students gather that storytelling can contribute to art in a beautiful fashion,” Steward said. “Though a simple form is a difficult skill it is so much more than a drawing or painting.”

Following Prejean and Steward will be Cory Golley and Grace Hallgarth.

“My work is textural and invades the space of the viewer,” Golley said. “Unlike sculpture, which exists within its own space, my paintings come out of the traditional 2D picture and into the space of the viewer. The work is interactive as well as viewable from many different angles and changes based on lighting.”

The final show of the semester will be presented by Erin Page and Christine Pritchett.

“I hope students gain the idea that they can be creative, no matter what tools they use,” Page said. “I am an art major with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business management. I hope to one day start a company of my own.”

The artists’ work can be viewed at any time in the Fine Arts Center in the display gallery.

“I hope my art will offer students an opportunity to observe their own thoughts and personalities by interpreting pieces that exemplify my own,” Hallgarth said.