Tarleton State University’s Wind Ensemble to perform at New York’s famous Carnegie Hall

Since 1891, Carnegie Hall has been one of the most prestigious venues in the world for both classical and popular music.

Landon Pool/Reporter

On April 23, Tarleton State University’s Wind Ensemble will perform at New York’s famous Carnegie Hall, which since 1891 has been one of the most prestigious venues in the world for both classical and popular music.  The Wind Ensemble learned of their invitation to play a year ago, and has diligently been preparing for this performance for the past two months.  

The Wind Ensemble is bringing some new music brought in specifically for this performance. Dr. Anthony Pursell, the director of bands at Tarleton, shared with JTAC News what they will be playing.

“We will be performing ‘Overture to Candide,’ which received its world premier in Carnegie Hall in 1957,” Pursell said. “We will also be giving the world premier of ‘Spirits Rising: The Texan Rider,’ which was written by film composer Charles Fernandez specifically for our Carnegie Hall performance.  Afterwards, we will feature two faculty members, Dr. Brian Walker and Dr. Jonathan Gill, in the trumpet and trombone duet ‘Fandango’.  Dr. Heather Hawk will then perform Gustav Mahler’s ‘Urlicht.’”

Tarleton President Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio will also participate in the event.

“Taking the stage afterwards will be Dr. Dottavio conducting another new work that was resurrected from the Tarleton Student Center display case named ‘Tarleton Forever,’” Pursell added. “Concluding the concert will be a quartet of percussion soloists: Tahlequah Kirk, Larry Lawless, Tarleton alumni Michael Crawford and Stephen Seymour in David Gillingham’s ‘Concertino for Four Percussion and Wind Ensemble.’  Jacques Press’ ‘Wedding Dance’ will conclude the concert.”

The Wind Ensemble has juggled preparing for this special concert with the usual performances they give during the semester. While preparing for the Invitational Band Festival and their finale concert on Saturday, March 29, they were able to work on some of the music for the Carnegie Hall concert.

“Overall, the two concerts being so close together [was] a big challenge for our students and the staff.  They have done very well answering the challenge,” Pursell said.

Pursell also mentioned that the students are very excited for this opportunity, and have taken their preparation for it seriously.

“There is a greater sense of urgency in their preparation,” Pursell explained. “There is also an attitude about ‘getting it right’.  The opportunity to perform in this venue has certainly shaped our program for the better.”