26 years of Texas Country

This year, the festival falls on April 21-26 and includes a line-up of Kevin Fowler, Bart Crow, Eli Young, Stoney LaRue, Wade Bowen, and many more.

People of all ages and from all over the state look forward to mid-April each year. Not because of tax day, but because of something bigger: the Larry Joe Taylor Music Festival, or LJT. Guests are able to buy one to five day tickets, a campsite, and even a backstage pass to experience a week of Texas Country music.

The festival was originally an effort to provide a music friendly environment in which both the artists and fans felt welcome and on common ground.

As LJT grew more popular, the location of the event moved from its original location in Mingus, Texas to Thurber, Possum Kingdom, Glen Rose, Meridian, and finally to its current home at Melody Mountain Ranch just outside of Stephenville.

This year, the festival falls on April 21-26 and includes a line-up of Kevin Fowler, Bart Crow, Eli Young, Stoney LaRue, Wade Bowen, and many more. The 26th annual LJT festival is right around the time Tarleton State University students and teachers are preparing for spring finals.

Many teachers at Tarleton put in the syllabus or mention at the beginning of the year their expectations for students during the festival. Some teachers cancel class for the week altogether, while others see no reason not to carry on with the usual class schedule.

“I think LJT does affect the learning of some TSU students,” Dr. Rebekah Miller-Levy of the Education Department said. “Some students couldn’t care less about the event, but others begin focusing on the event the week before, then miss class the week of, and drag themselves into class the week after with no energy to devote to learning. This semester it is going to be particularly devastating for some students as it occurs the last week of class when the students need to be focused on wrapping up the semester and preparing for finals. I think LJT would have significantly less impact on student learning if the dates were changed to spring break, or after finals.”

Students have been known to skip classes to attend the festival, come into class covered in mud and reeking of alcohol, or sending in fake excuses. Some faculty members believe this festival can give Tarleton and its students a negative image, since the location of the event is in Stephenville.

Adjunct Professor Andrew Boyer commented, “I think this is an opportunity for everyone to have a good time, and there is nothing wrong with that. There is a problem with those who can’t just have a good time. Students sometimes forget that they represent the university wherever they go, and it’s a shame when this paints us all in a poor light.”

While some professors are not fond of the festival, it is something that some students look forward to and start planning for months in advance. Early ticket sales and a line up of Texas Country artists draw students in to the festival.

“I don’t personally believe LJT gives Tarleton a bad reputation,” Tarleton junior Karly Johnson said. “I feel that everyone should be responsible for their own actions. With that said, as students, we represent Tarleton everywhere we go and we should always keep that in mind.”

Tickets for the festival can be bought during the event, which is located north of Stephenville at Melody Mountain Ranch, or purchased on the official Larry Joe Taylor Music Festival website.