Review: Tarleton’s “The Sound of Music” is one of my favorite things

The Tarleton State University Department of Fine Arts and Theatre at Tarleton presents “The Sound of Music.”

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

This week, the Tarleton State University Department of Fine Arts and Theatre at Tarleton presents “The Sound of Music” by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II. The classic show is a musical based on the memoir of Maria Von Trapp. The musical originally debuted in 1959 and was made into a film starring Julie Andrews in 1965.

The first act of the musical stays true to form of the original musical by Rodgers and Hammerstein II. Nathan Early stars as the stern, but later warm hearted, Captain Georg Von Trapp. Early never misses a beat and gives off a believable performance that audiences will love. Cheyenne Shreve, who stars as the governess Maria Rainer (later Von Trapp), gives a phenomenal performance with a voice that can calm the crowds with a single note. The chemistry between Early and Shreve is undeniable as their budding romance grows throughout the musical.

The second half is met with more laughs and well executed music. Taylor Matlock, who stars as Kurt Von Trapp, steals the moment whenever he enters the stage. With one-liners and adlibs by Matlock, he truly gives a witty performance of the youngest Von Trapp son.

The set design of “The Sound of Music” is what could almost rival that of off-Broadway productions. The sets were eloquently designed to make the audience feel as if they were given a snapshot of Austria in 1938.

Although a major, but not main character, Jaylan Moore as The Mother Abbess steals the show. Moore tears the house down with her voice of gold that holds notes that of a seasoned Broadway veteran would envy. When Moore begins to sing, you want to listen.

“The Sound of Music” entertains from beginning to end. Well-acted and sung, the actors give the original version its true justice. The Theatre Department has more than outdone itself.

The show starts today, Feb. 26, and will run until Saturday March 1. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. each night. Tickets are $5.00 for students with a Tarleton ID and can be purchased in the box office until Friday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.