“Global Rhythms:” An Evening with Tarleton Percussion

On Tuesday April 23, Tarleton State University’s Percussion Ensemble was prepared to put on a show of eclectic and exciting music. “Global Rhythms” was the title of the evening’s concert, and it was opened up with an introduction by director and Tarleton alumnus Michael Crawford.

Preparing the audience for what we were about to hear, Crawford explained the selection of featured pieces from all over the globe, a show of entirely world music for percussion. He also announced the inclusion of the Granbury High School Percussion Ensemble, who would open up the concert with two pieces, “Transmigration” and “Angels of the Apocalypse.”

The opening number had somewhat of a dream-like sound, with many dynamic valleys and peaks. It was immediately made very evident that these students are very mature musicians, since they were all so well in-sync and synchronized with the music and each other. All of their movements were together and perfectly timed, leaving me very impressed.

Granbury’s second piece was just as well executed. “Angels of the Apocalypse” started with an eerie beginning, slowly building up with anticipation, leading up to moments of relief, only to be taken aback by moments of suspense. The nearly seamless movements of the players echoed the ominous tone of the piece, showing how musically and physically involved they were.

After the Granbury students finished their portion, members of Tarleton’s Percussion Ensemble entered the scene. They opened with a piece arranged by Michael Crawford called “Taqsim,” a song with Middle Eastern and Persian influences. It featured director of Tarleton Jazz bands Greg Ball on soprano saxophone who even dressed the part as he, Crawford, and students Jacob Wright and Stephen Seymour sat cross-legged on the floor. The musicians displayed unbelievable coordination on this piece. It was eccentric and exciting, and I enjoyed it immensely.

“La Boda de Luis Alonso” featured a full ensemble, including students John Clements on tuba and Jacob Wright on string bass. To me, this song had a very carnivalesque, fun sound, and showcased impressive riffs by Margaret Weaver and PJ Ramirez on marimba.

Next was a performance by Honors Recital participant PJ Ramirez, who played a memorized retake of “Paganini’s Caprice in A Minor.” He looked ready to blow the audience away, which he did, as he came through the middle curtain with his sleeves rolled up. Undoubtedly, Ramirez once again proved himself to be a greatly skilled musician by giving a commendable performance. I can’t even begin to grasp how a persons hands should be able to move that fast across a marimba, but still, Ramirez did it.

“More Like Chutney” was the next piece that featured select members of the ensemble, who once again sat on the floor cross-legged. It featured the use of rice bowls and various drums, which provided an interesting sound. As Michael Crawford sat facing the performers, he conducted them in a style that I, as an non-percussion instrumental musician, had not seen before. This caught my attention and curiosity, as well as impressed me once again.

The ensemble then performed, series of movements titled “Coyote Builds North America.” This was what Michael Crawford referred to as an “interdisciplinary study between music and poetry,” which featured a Native American inspired poem narrated by KTRL 90.5 radio show host and music education major Cary Richards.

Each of these movements had a very tribal feel, which I thought was superbly accomplished. The deep bass drumming of the pieces especially contributed to the rising intensity of each movement. The last line of the poem summed up the piece: “Build the fire. At last, laughter. Feels good, let the chief call the dancers.”

The ensemble closed the concert with a steel drum session. The beachy sound of the drums not only created an air of fun of the approaching summer, but also made me long to travel somewhere that is at least warmer. The group played “A Jamaican Farewell,” which was very fitting of the instrumentation and the end of the show.

Stephen Seymour is a senior music education major graduating this May, who has devoted his career at Tarleton to participating in many of the college’s music ensembles. He shared his sentiments of his final experience with the Tarleton Percussion Ensemble.

“I am very happy to have been a part of the percussion concert tonight,” Seymour said. “It was my last time to participate as a ‘member,’ and equally as special, it featured Granbury High School’s percussion ensemble, which did an amazing job. It was with great fortune that I had the opportunity to student teach there and really get to know them and their director. It was a very nice way to say goodbye to the Tarleton and Granbury Percussion studios (for now).”

I was continuously impressed throughout my time spent at the Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center Auditorium this evening, and I only wish there was more time in the semester to see another show from the TSU Percussion Ensemble. The preparation and hard work that the students and instructors put into the concert was very evident, and they should be proud of the product of their efforts.