Lillian + Washington = Deathtrap

Ever since Tarleton purchased and closed Lillian Street, I have noticed more and more Tarleton students crossing the street at the intersection of Lillian and Washington Street or simply jaywalking across Washington. This seems incredibly dangerous. There is a nearly blind curve that leads from Washington to the intersection. If a car is speeding and has to come to an abrupt stop, the driver may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting a Tarleton student or other pedestrian. Crossing Washington in front of the Administration Building seems just as dangerous, with two lanes of traffic, a turning lane and numerous cars entering and exiting the near-by businesses, some of which serve alcohol, which could mean intoxicated drivers in addition to the high traffic.

It seems inevitable, with that many students and cars intersecting with such frequency that there will be, if there has not already been, an accident resulting in injury or possibly even death. It seems almost negligent to leave the current street layout in place.

The solution seems fairly simple: there should be crosswalks at the intersection of Lillian and Washington, and possibly additional crosswalks in front of the Administration Building and/or the new welcome center. This would allow Tarleton students who live within a few blocks of campus to walk to school without having to play chicken with oncoming motorists everyday.

In the meantime, students crossing Washington Street should be careful, look both ways and cross your fingers as you cross the street. And, students crossing the intersection in vehicles, please watch out for your fellow Texans.