Illuminations – A Holiday Wish for the Tarleton Family

The season of lights is upon us. Communities are brightened with strings of lights in trees, on homes or around lampposts. Gatherings of family and friends are bathed in the light of tradition: a twinkling Christmas tree, the menorah of Hanukkah, the kinara of Kwanzaa, luminaria along the walk. Various cultural and religious customs are further reflected in the food and music of the season.

A common thread through all of these customs is a spirit of goodwill to others. That is a spirit we know well. Tarleton has a tradition of respect for the dignity of everyone, of courtesy and exemplary service to students, visitors and to one another.

At the 32nd annual performance of Handel’s Messiah in the Wells Fine Arts Center last Saturday (Dec. 3), I was reminded that my introduction to the culture of civility at Tarleton took place even before I knew I would be president. My wife Lisette and I were visiting my sister in The Woodlands for Christmas and decided to drive to this area. During the holiday break, the Tarleton campus was nearly deserted. We were able to gain entry to the Wells Fine Arts Center and strolled through the gallery area. There we met Dr. Charles Rives, Professor of Fine Arts, and the conductor of the Messiah for the past 29 years. He was gracious and kind to a couple of strangers, despite trying to lock up for the holiday. Chuck was the first person I met at Tarleton and a wonderful representative of the University.

The thirteenth edition of the Purple Book identified courtesy as indispensable to respect and encouraged its application to all occasions. Today, civility is a core value of this institution. Being civil means following the example of Chuck Rives and so many others who show their pride in this University and in themselves by treating people with consideration. It means actively advocating for fair treatment. Being civil means respecting others and ourselves.

With education – in the classroom and beyond – comes informed action and responsibility. Our words, and sometimes our silence, have the power to affect the quality of life for all. Broadcast journalist Ted Koppel told a group of graduates at another university that they should, “Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. …Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail, as you surely will,adjust your lives, not the standards.”

Tarleton’s standards are high. The culture of this campus is respectful and resourceful, inclusive and inquisitive, courteous and civil. These standards help prepare Tarleton graduates for responsible citizenship in their careers and communities. They have seen it and lived it at this university.

Thank you, Chuck Rives for literally opening the door to Tarleton for me. Thank you for many memorable concerts and for teaching and mentoring your students. Thank you to all who spread courtesy, civility and good will in every season.

As the calendar turns to 2012, I wish you a life illuminated by knowledge, wisdom and great joy.

F. Dominic Dottavio, Ph.D.

President