Risk Management reminds students to be safe

Haley Smith, Contributor

Construction is a normal sight around the Tarleton State University campus. Unfortunately, parking seems to be the biggest hassle and is a big topic on campus. As a result of frustration with parking, a student allegedly decided to use the Bosque Crossing parking garage before it was open and safe for students to begin using.

The student opened the gates and entered into the restricted area the student the proceeded to drive their car into the garage. Many construction workers claimed the student was very fortunate to not have driven their car into a hole in the ground.

“The incident, apparently occurred while construction equipment was being moved in and out of the site, which requires a portion of the fence to be open. It is our expectation that construction locations involving the movement of equipment and materials in and out of a controlled area have a representative to monitor pedestrian and vehicular traffic near the site,” Kent Styron, Director and Compliance OFFICER, SAID.

Precautions are taken to avoid these types of incidents from happening.

“Signs are placed in areas near construction activities, providing safety information and warnings to pedestrians,” Styron said. “Unfortunately, a locked gate doesn’t necessarily prevent someone from entering a construction area. Construction fencing used to secure utility improvements within street boundaries must be portable to allow project progression. Contractors have reported cases of pedestrians moving or opening a section of construction fencing to travel through the site. Fencing is used to keep pedestrians safe and should not be moved.”

“As always, the safety of our students, faculty, and staff is top priority at Tarleton, and we do everything possible to keep our campus as safe as we can,” Styron said.

Construction areas are for permitted personnel and anyone who chooses to cut across these areas or enter without permission are putting themselves at risk of being seriously injured. And students should take this into consideration while walking to classes. Tarleton does not want any students or faculty injured during these this time of expansion and growth around campus.