OP-ED: Does your mom know you’re sleeping in class?

Rachel Crawford, fed-up junior

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

The people who show up to most of my classes seem to actually want to be in class and want to learn. But, there are always the few in class who decide to sleep. But why would you come to class when you’re just going to sleep? Especially when the class only has 20 people and the professor can clearly see you.

You pay for these classes. Why would you waste your money, or your parent’s money? It’s a waste of money and flat out annoying for some people.

Some people decide not to sleep, but choose to talk. When you’re in a lecture hall, you may be able to get away with it because the professor might not be able to hear. But other students can hear you and can only hear you. When you talk the entire class, what’s the point of coming to class at all? Why don’t you just go and sit outside and talk? There was no point in you coming to class.

Honestly, if I was a professor and I took attendance for a grade, if you talked or slept for most of the class, I wouldn’t give you credit for the day. You weren’t mentally in class, so you weren’t technically there.

It really bugs me when people decide to talk and sleep in class. Do it outside of class so the people who actually are here to learn (and who care about how they spend their money) can learn and not have to worry about you chatting or sleeping your class time away.