Corps of Cadets

The+2016-17+Corps+of+Cadets+line+up+on+Military+St.+

The 2016-17 Corps of Cadets line up on Military St.

Arantxa Sosa, Contributor

The Tarleton State University Corps of Cadets have returned after over a decade of hiatus. The Corps of Cadets used to be a part of the military program at Tarleton. It began in 1917, when Tarleton joined the Texas A&M System.

“From 1917 until 1953, if you were a male student at Tarleton you were a part of the Corps of Cadets. In 1954 the program became optional”, said Colonel Kenny Weldon, Stephenville Mayor and Commandant and Senior Director of Strategic Studies.

Weldon joined the Air Force after graduating from Stephenville High School. For 26 years, Weldon served as civil engineer.

Weldon explained that the Corps of Cadets differs from the ROTC program. The Cadets is for anyone that wishes to be a part of a structured program that challenges an individual both mentally and physically without having a future commitment with the United States military.

Similar to the ROTC program, the Cadets also wear uniforms and can be spotted participating in some of campus events. During Transition Week, the Cadets participated in the raising of the flag.

“The program is open to any major, with the opportunity to receive a minor in leadership,” Weldon said.

According to Weldon, the reinstatement of the program was motivated by a variety of factors. “Since were coming up on our centennial celebration, we wanted to go back to our roots.”

The program is student lead, with just under 100 students, 50 of them freshman. Cadets will be treated similar to student athletes, with scheduled workouts, and study hall hours. Students build leadership skills, helping them both inside and outside the classroom. Members will be a part of the Living and Learning program, residing in the newly built residence hall, South Traditions.

Applications to join the Corps of Cadets for Fall 2017 can be found at www.tarleton.edu/cadets/apply-now/jtla.html