On-Campus smoking policy

Smoker is non-designated smoking area.

Briana Busby, Contributor

Tarleton State University’s smoking laws were revised Oct. 1, 2014 and according to the policy documents, it will be reviewed once more in 2019.

The policy states that Rule 34.05.99T1 “establishes governing smoking and the use of tobacco products” here on Tarleton property. It was implemented so that Tarleton would maintain a “healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors.”

According to the policy, the plan that was approved established tobacco-free areas within 50 feet of all public buildings and structures.

Around campus, signs have been placed to mark the zones in which students are allowed to smoke. The areas are located away from entryways in an attempt to keep smoke from being drawn into a building. According to the map for smoking areas, there are almost 30 different places to smoke on campus.

According to the policy, if a someone violates the rules, students may report it to the Office of the Dean of Students or to the University police.

The whole point of this rule is to make sure that the campus is healthy and pleasant for everyone who attends here. Tarleton is also looking and discussing to move to a smoke-free campus just like many other campuses have done in the past.

“Personally I’m not a fan of smoking, period, but I do believe that students should smoke in the smoking zones that have been provided for them because not everyone wants to smell or smell like cigarette smoke,” said junior Bryonnah McCarty.

“Students should smoke in their designated areas,” said junior Jessica Day.

“I don’t like smoking because I have mild asthma,” junior Jaycie Green said. “I have adjusted to it because it’s something that would be super hard to change here on campus.”