TMATE program offered to graduate teaching students

Payton Robb, Contributor

Tarleton Model for Accelerated Teacher Education (TMATE) is one of the few accelerated teaching programs in the state that helps students continue their higher education while becoming a certified teacher.

Graduate student, Kalee Smith, encourages students to take advantage of this program.

“I think this program is beneficial because it changes how the classroom is ran,” Smith said. “It is more cooperative rather than competitive, and they really practice what they preach.”

TMATE is a program under the Tarleton College of Graduate Studies and the College of Education. It is based in Fort Worth.

“I heard about TMATE from my advisor,” Smith said. “I am able to take my graduate classes here in Stephenville while I take my educational classes in Fort Worth. I have had two face-to-face classes that I had to travel to the Fort Worth campus for, but otherwise my classes have been online.”

Smith has been involved in the TMATE programs since the spring of 2015 and will graduate in May 2018. In addition to taking classes, she will also have to complete an internship to graduate the program.

“I think the major difference between TMATE and other educational programs is the choice between clinical teaching and internships,” Smith said. “Clinical teaching is only one semester, but you do not get paid; whereas, it is a paid internship for a year.”

Smith is currently working on her master’s degree in biology, and is getting certified to teach 7-12 grade life sciences.

“I never really knew what I wanted to do with my degree,” she said. “I didn’t think I wanted to teach, but once I started looking into this program, I knew that it was what I wanted to do.”

Students who have a background in biology, kinesiology or history can apply to TMATE for the spring, summer or fall semester. An average of 10 students are accepted per semester.

“To apply for TMATE, students need to send in their teacher certification exam scores along with their application,” Smith said. “They will then be called for an interview. The interview is just the student and two professors. It is not bad at all.”

Smith said that the length of the program depends on the student.

“I had most my classes done by the time I started TMATE,” Smith said. “I am trying to finish all of my classes before my internship so that I can give all of my energy to the kids.”

For more information on the TMATE program, visit their website at tarleton.edu/tmate.

“I just wanted to share my story,” Smith said. “I know a lot of students in my department that do not know what they want to do with their degree, but with this program they have more options. I want to help get the word out about TMATE not just for biology majors, but for other degrees as well.”