Confirmed case of Mumps on Stephenville campus

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

Yesterday, April 6, Tarleton State University sent out an email stating that a student on the Stephenville campus has the mumps. A statement including what mumps is, symptoms and how to prevent mumps was also included from the Texas Department of State Health Services.

According to the email, “Mumps is a contagious disease caused by a virus. It spreads easily from person-to-person through saliva, coughing and sneezing.”

People who get infected become ill typically between 16-18 days after having contact with someone who is infected. Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, loss of appetite and swollen glands.

According to the Texas DSHS, mumps does not have any treatment and can cause long-term health problems.

These health problems can include temporary or permanent deafness, swelling of the brain, sterility and sometimes death.

The Texas DSHS recommends that everyone receive two doses of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine and should not attend work or school if there are any signs or symptoms of the mumps.

Students that were in the same classes or worked with the identified student should have received a second letter about the situation.

For questions, visit here or if you would like to report a suspected case of the mumps, contact the Texas DSHS at 817-822-6786.