Mumps update: two more confirmed cases

Rachel Crawford, Managing Editor

On April 6, students, faculty and staff at Tarleton State University received an email informing the campus of a confirmed case of the mumps. On April 12, an additional email was sent to faculty that there were a few cases of students presenting with symptoms of the mumps.

According to Harry Battson, Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Communications, two more cases of the mumps has been confirmed on campus.

“Mumps is contagious just as flu is, but flu affects more people, including those in high risk categories (pregnant, have infant children, weak immune system, etc.), has a lower vaccination effectiveness rate, and a lower percentage of the population has been vaccinated,” Battson said. “The only difference is the mumps is required to be reported by physicians as established by the Department of State Health Services.”

Battson said an additional email was not sent out to students because the information did not change when two additional cases were confirmed.

Symptoms of the mumps include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, loss of appetite and swollen glands under the ears and jaws. Those infected typically become sick about 16-18 days after coming into contact with someone who is infected.

The mumps does not have a treatment, but the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine is recommended.

Mumps can cause deafness, swelling of the brain, sterility and sometimes death.

The Department of State Health Services recommends that anyone infected stay home for five days and contact their healthcare provider to let them know they have the mumps.

“Staff in Student Health Services will be glad to field questions regarding symptoms of mumps or mumps in general but the available information is also in the state and federal sites referenced in the original email.  And again, personal health issues should be addressed with your health care provider,” Dr. Dwayne Snider, Associate Vice President for Academic Administration, said.

To contact Student Health Services, call 254-968-9271. Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Stephenville is located at 411 North Belknap St., and can be reached at 254-965-1500. The DSHS can be reached at 817-822-6786.