Tarleton seeks new bids for Memorial Stadium renovations

Renovations+are+expected+to+start+in+September+2017.+

Nikayla Payne JTAC News

Renovations are expected to start in September 2017.

Angel Jauregui, Contributor

Tarleton State University’s $24 million renovation project for Memorial Stadium will go up once again for bids in June, after initial bids reportedly came back higher than expected. According to Harry Battson, Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Communications, the stadium has not been renovated in nearly 30 years.

The project bids are being pushed since Tarleton is a state university and a member of the Texas A&M University System, which means “Tarleton must seek competitive bids for all major construction projects,” Battson said.

This project will require a significant amount of work that requires considerable expertise and previous experience. To get the expertise needed for the project, “details are advertised publicly and contractors are encouraged to submit bids,” Battson said.

The bids are put in by major building contractors and are reviewed by the Texas A&M System Board of Regents.

Battson said, “In this case, bids received were higher than the project budget. Because the university needs to stay within the available budget approved by the System Board of Regents, the bids were rejected.”

Memorial Stadium is being renovated for multiple reasons, including, “reorienting the home seating for Tarleton Texan fans so that they no longer look into the setting sun.” Battson said.

“The project will enhance the fan experience with expanded seating, improved concessions and new suites. It will also improve conditions for participating athletes, including upgraded locker rooms and facilities, positioning the university for a potential move to NCAA Division I competition if that opportunity arises,” Battson said.

Seating will be expanded from 7,400 to more than 9,000, including premium seating. All entrances, ticket booths and concession facilities will be upgraded.

Battson said, “A new press box and suites will be added and the football turf and track-and-field surfaces will be upgraded.”

According to Battson, if a bid is accepted and approved by August, Construction will begin in September. Battson assures that if a bid is not accepted, Tarleton is still committed for the project moving forward.

Battson said, “There is but two objectives with this project which are to improve the fan experience, and most important of all; to improve the experience for student athletes through upgraded fields and facilities and to increase stadium capacity for the growing numbers of students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends who attend the games.”