Top 10 holiday movies to watch this season

Madison White, Assignment Editor

During the holiday season, you can flip to almost any channel and find a holiday version of your favorite television show or a holiday movie. For some people, watching these movies is tradition. Here are 10 movies you need to watch before this holiday season is over.

“A Charlie Brown Christmas” (1965)

Charlie Brown is trying to figure out what Christmas is all about in this 25 minute Christmas classic. After Lucy suggests that Charlie Brown should become the director of the Christmas pageant, he accepts but has a conflict with a Christmas tree, then has to figure out the real meaning of Christmas with the help of Linus. This movie won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Children’s Program in 1966 and also won a Peabody Award in 1966. Along with winning those awards, “A Charlie Brown Christmas” was also nominated for a Grammy Award in 1978 for Best Recording for Children, an Emmy Award in 1966 for Special Classification of Individual Achievements and a Satellite Award in 2009 for Best Youth DVD.

“Frosty the Snowman” (1969) and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” (1964)

These two movies are considered classics in my book. Although, “Frosty the Snowman” is only 25 minutes it is definitely a movie for a lot of people. A group of young students realizes that a black top hat brings a snowman to life. They become his friend and have to keep him away from the magician that wants his hat back. “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” is also considered a movie with a runtime of 47 minutes. After being tired of being picked on for being reindeer with a red nose, he goes to the island of misfit toys. Rudolph tries to get Santa to help the misfit toys, but Santa has an idea to help him see through a foggy night.

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

If you’re not the biggest fan of Christmas, this one is for you. This movie is based on a poem by Tim Burton and was released on Oct. 29, 1993. Jack Skellington, who is the pumpkin king of Halloween Town, wanders into Christmas Town where he gets the idea to get Halloween Town to put on Christmas.

“Christmas with the Kranks” (2004)

The Kranks were always the most spirited for Christmas until their daughter left for Peru. They decided to skip out on Christmas and instead go on a cruise. When their daughter decides to come home for Christmas, they have to hurry to get Christmas back together.

“A Christmas Carol” (2009)

This more recent movie was based off “A Christmas Carol” movie from 1938, which was an American movie based off of Charles Dickens’s novella “A Christmas Carol” from 1843. A bitter Ebenezer Scrooge is visited by three spirits that showed him his present, past and future. It’s up to him to decide the rest of his future.

“Home Alone” (1990) and “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York” (1992)

“Home Alone” is the top grossing holiday movie with the final box office ending at $285.76 million. “Home Alone” is all about a boy who is left at his house while his parents accidently leave him to travel to France. He encounters two burglars who later cause him some trouble. “Home Alone 2: Lost in New York” is the forth top grossing holiday movie. This second installment is about the same boy who gets on the wrong flights and ends up in New York City. The same two burglars he dealt with before show up and has to handle them for a second time.

“The Polar Express” (2004)

Not only is the “The Polar Express” the third top grossing holiday movie, it was the first all-digital capture film and nominated for three Oscars. A fun family-friendly movie with a run time of only 100 minutes, this movie is based off the children’s book “The Polar Express” by Chris Van Allsburg originally published 1985. This movie is all about a young boy who takes a unique train ride to the North Pole.

“The Santa Clause” (1994), “The Santa Clause 2” (2002) and “The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause” (2006)

The movie that started this trilogy was the sixth highest grossing holiday movie. In this first movie, Tim Allen, who plays Scott Calvin, accidentally caused the death of a guy who was in the Santa suit. He must take over being Santa before the next Christmas happens. In “The Santa Clause 2,” Scott Calvin has had the role of Santa Clause for eight years and will not be able to continue being Santa if he doesn’t find a Mrs. Clause. In “The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause,” Scott Calvin is faced with some conflicts between his family and keeping Jack Frost from taking Christmas away from him. This classic Christmas trilogy is coming to Netflix Dec. 12.

“Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (2000)

Based on a Dr. Seuss’s 1957 book “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!”, this movie is the second highest grossing holiday movie so far. This movie was created as an animated film in 1966 and then in 2000 came a live version. Jim Carrey, who plays the Grinch, creates a plan to take away Christmas from the Whos of Whoville. Cindy Lou Who tries to become friends with the Grinch to make him love Christmas and see what it is truly about.

“Elf” (2003)

Winning a Golden Trailer Award for Best Comedy in 2004, this will bring laughs into your home. “Elf” is the fifth most grossing holiday movie. This movie not only plays during the holiday season, but also plays in spring and summertime. This movie focuses on Buddy the Elf, who is played by Will Ferrell. It shows his journey from the North Pole to New York City to find his dad, who is on the naughty list and doesn’t even know he exists.

Of course, these aren’t the only holiday movies that you can catch on pretty much any channel this season; but they are some of the best. What’s your favorite holiday movie?