Tarleton student to compete in Miss Texas USA pageant this weekend

Rachel Crawford, Associate Editor

Courtesy of Amy Garcia
Tomorrow and Saturday, the Miss Texas USA pageant will be held in Houston, and Tarleton State University student, Amy Garcia, will be participating. Garcia, a senior education major, will be representing her home county, Parker County.

“I have always had in interest in pageantry, but there was always something holding me back. This past May, I came across the Miss Texas USA website and realized I could apply to be a contestant,” Garcia said. “Without thinking too much about it, I filled it out and said, ‘If I’m meant to compete this year, I’ll be accepted, and if not, I can always apply again next year.’”

A few weeks later, Garcia was surprised when she received a letter in the mail saying she had been accepted as a contestant.

Garcia said she decided she wanted to participate because she has always been interested in pageantry and modeling. In the fall of 2016, Garcia started freelance modeling and even started her own Facebook page.

“It has been so much fun so far!” Garcia said. “The thought of even competing at Miss Texas just felt like a new adventure I should try and I honestly believe it’s going to be such a rewarding experience.”

Garcia knows that there is a lot of competition and that the girls she will be competing against have the same dreams as she does, but she believes that everything happens for a reason and God has a plan. Even if she doesn’t win, Garcia hopes that she gains new friendships and self-confidence, and hopes that this experience will open doors for her, in both the pageantry and modeling worlds.

“I am grateful to even get the opportunity to be a contestant and I hope will just competing, I inspire other young girls to do after their dreams. We all have to start somewhere, and I believe this is my start,” Garcia said.

The contest, which is being held at the Hilton Houston Post Oak Hotel, is produced by The Crystal Group, Inc. Though the pageant is no longer televised, it will be livestreamed here.

Garcia asks for prayers and for people to vote for her for the People’s Choice Award. The winner of this award will be guaranteed a spot as a semi-finalist in the finals competition on Saturday.

Votes are $1 each and can be made here. To vote for Garcia, be sure and put her name and her title, Miss Parker County USA. All donations will be given to the Texas Wounded Warrior Foundation.

“I know if I don’t walk out with the title this weekend, I will be back next year and/or the next years to come,” Garcia said. “I have a feeling this experience will just be the beginning for me and hopefully it will help open new doors to other opportunities.

“I would just like to thank everyone for the support I have had throughout this whole process, and I hope that no matter what the outcome is, I will still have the same amount of support with me for whatever God has planned for me in the future.”

To learn more about the Miss Texas USA pageant, visit this website or their Facebook.