Tarleton set to offer Green Dot training

Brittainie Cason, Contributor

October is domestic violence awareness month. Domestic violence awareness month (DVAM) originated from the Day of Unity which started on October 1981, when people across the nation were advocating for the ending of violence on women and children. The three main focuses that DVAM is about are mourning those who have died because of domestic violence, celebrating those who have survived and connecting those who work to end violence. In October 1987, the first DVAM was witnessed and that same year was the initiation of the first toll-free hotline. The Day of Unity is still celebrated on the first Monday of DVAM every year.

Tarleton State University’s counseling services has survivor advocacy which is providing confidential support and resources to survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and more. This month for DVAM, counseling will also be providing green dot training for faculty and students of Tarleton and have tables throughout campus to talk to students about they can do and about what resources are offered to students in the counseling service center. There are three tables left this month, on Oct. 25 it will be from 12 to 2 p.m. in front of the business building, Oct. 29 it will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the dining hall patio and on Oct. 30 from 1 to 3 p.m. in front of the library.

They will also have green dot training on Nov. 4 for faculty and staff. 

“Green dot is a bystander intervention program it’s also kind of a philosophy,” Katie Bryan, a graduate assistant, said. “It’s equipping students, faculty and staff on campus to be active bystanders.” 

Bystander intervention is done in two ways; one is reactive green dots which is when they see a situation which might escalate and how they can respond using the three D’s; direct, delegate and distract. When being direct you approach the situation and ask if you they want to go to the counseling center or telling someone to back off. Delegate is getting someone else involved it can be either a person who has no fear and will say something or going straight to a faculty or staff member and letting them know that something is going on. And distract is when you do something to diffuse the situation, it can be starting an unrelated conversation like “are you in my class, you look familiar.” The other side of green dot is also being proactive, by starting a culture change and saying that Tarleton is against violence and everyone is expected to do their part to prevent it.

If you or someone you love or know how has been going through domestic violence counseling advises you to not be afraid. 

“You are not alone, and we believe you,” Bryan said. “We know that domestic violence happens to way too many people, so domestic violence is kind of a multi aspect and we tend to only think about the physical violence as a society, but it is also emotional and mental.” 

For students there are plenty of resources offered; the counseling center, survivors advocates and community help as well.  If you are scared to speak up there are ways for you to speak out in ways that you are comfortable with. Green dot is a big way to help you speak out, there is also care team where you can anonymously let someone know that something is going on with someone you know, or it can even be for you.

“Domestic violence can happen to anyone regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation and economic status,” Bryan stated. “It is not just physical violence, its sexual violence and emotional violence, it is a big range of behaviors.” 

A lot of people don’t realize that it impacts a wide range of people and that it can be anything besides physical. Be proactive in your community and do your part to keep Tarleton safe.