Rec Street Squad wins Silver Bugle Hunt for the first time

Alex Huerta/ The JTAC

The winning team, The Campus Recreation Street Squad consisted of members Collin Murphy, Hannah McManus, Kaci Bachtel, and Time Khanhaeng holding the Silver Bugle, with Dr. Hurley and his wife Kindall.

On Monday, Oct. 14, 2019, Tarleton State University kicked-off one of the most beloved traditions, the Silver Bugle Hunt. The winner of the Silver Bugle Hunt 2019 was Rec 1 or Campus Recreation.

“This is the first year we have entered a team” said Daron Trussell, Director of Campus Recreation “We had two teams participate.”

The winning team, The Campus Recreation Street Squad consisted of members Collin Murphy, Hannah McManus, Kaci Bachtel, and Time Khanhaeng. Murphy and Khanhaeng have previously won with their fraternity Kappa Delta Rho.

The Campus Recreation’s mission is to provide opportunities to engage in activities, programs and special events that promote healthy active lifestyles, leadership development, social interaction and educational opportunities. These opportunities exist through programs, service and facilities that reflect the diverse needs of the Tarleton State University Family. So it’s no wonder their team would excel in this Homecoming Tradition.

The Silver Bugle hunt has been a long standing tradition in Tarleton’s history. Every year the university wide scavenger hunt commences to search for the silver bugle during Tarleton State University’s Homecoming Week.

The tradition started originated in 1941-58. During this time a rivalry raged between Tarleton and North Central Agricultural College. This rivalry was highlighted each fall during football season. The winner of the Tarleton versus North Central game was presented with a silver bugle.

Sadly in 1958 NTAC won the football game, but they lost the silver bugle. Tarleton started Silver Bugle hunt as a homecoming tradition to remember this event and the old rivalry.