Getting involved

Junior%2C+Kylan+Mills%2C+looks+up+different+organizations+on+TexanSync.+

Klaire Brock/The JTAC

Junior, Kylan Mills, looks up different organizations on TexanSync.

It can feel easy to get lost in the crowd. Starting out in a new place where you potentially don’t know any one. Maybe you’re an international or transfer student with some credits under your belt but no friends or family in the area. Coming to a new place is always difficult, especially if you don’t know anyone on campus. Finding your own group is one of the best parts about going to college.

Regardless of where you’re coming from, it’s easy to start to feel lonely on a college campus. Tarleton has so much to offer. If you get involved it’ll start to feel more like home each day.

With over 150 registered organizations on campus, finding one that interests and fits you best can feel overwhelming. However, it can be a fun process to immerse yourself in Tarleton’s culture.

Student organizations help teach you time management, leadership skills, as well as how to work as a team. This is why it is so important to get involved during your time as an undergraduate. Be sure to utilize all the resources Tarleton offers, like TexanSync. On TexanSync you can find out who to contact about an organization and the times and places they meet.

There are academic, professional, arts, cultural, honorary, religious, sports, gaming, student government and many other university sponsored organizations. The options to choose from come in a wide variety.

One of the first steps when choosing an organization to join is deciding how much time you want to spend in these extracurriculars. These organizations can start to feel like a family after a while, and the age old saying of “you get what you put in,” definitely rings true. However, remember succeeding in school should be a top priority.

One organization you should always try to join, is the one that best follows your major. This will help you meet classmates and professors you will have in classes for, potentially, the next four years.

Choosing an organization should always be geared toward what you are passionate about. Just because an organization isn’t a part of your field, doesn’t mean you can’t be a part of the different things you are passionate about. Don’t be afraid to try new organizations and if you decide it’s not for you then there is no harm done.

Lastly, don’t forget about events Tarleton hosts like RoundUp. RoundUp is a student-led day of Service performed by students, faculty, staff, and community volunteers to give back to the residents of Stephenville. Organizations and projects like this are solely student based. Don’t be afraid to reach out to see how you can be a part of these teams.

The best part about Tarleton is all of the opportunities you have to broaden your horizons, the amazing people you’ll meet and just how passionate people are on this campus.