Tarleton’s Career Services continues virtual job fairs through spring

Cassie Labay/The JTAC

Alana Hefner and Kelli Murphy in front of the Career Services office where they work readily to help with any students you may have.

Tarleton’s Career Services began hosting their annual job fairs for the spring 2021 semester.
The first set of job fairs begins with the School of Engineering job fair on Jan. 26 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Following that will be a Healthcare job fair on Jan. 27 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., a College of Business job fair on Jan. 28 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and a Summer Camp job fair on Feb. 4 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Future job fairs for the month of March and April will be announced at a later date. For information on how to register for these job fairs, students can visit www.tarleton.edu/careers and learn about the two step registration process.
“[The virtual job fair] is very different from face-to-face, where you could just walk by a table [and meet with employers],” said Assistant Director of Employer and External Relations for Career Services Candiss Territo. “For the Virtual, you have to register and then schedule sessions with the employer.”
With the benefit of allowing students to register and schedule sessions in their free time and at their preference, Territo urges students to fully complete the process in order to be able to participate and meet with employers.
To prepare for the virtual job fair, students will build a schedule of sessions where they can meet with the employers who are scheduled to attend, as part of the registration process. This selection is up to the students, and they can meet with as many or as few employers as they’d like.
These sessions are put together by the employer and can be a one to one session or a group session.
Territo explained that a one-on-one session is a session between a student and the employer and is set for 10 minutes. A group session is a 30-minute session between the employer and large group of students.
“Students can choose to either meet the recruiter on their group session or one to one,” Territo said.

“of course, we recommend one to one because it gives them an opportunity to network with [the recruiter], but group sessions are good too because it’s a great way to learn about the company and the job opportunities,” Territo said. “All majors are invited to any of these job fairs.”
“There’s a lot of crossover [between specialized job fairs and majors outside of that fair],” Territo said
In a healthcare job fair, a recruiter from a hospital may not only be looking for nurses and students who are studying health sciences, but also students who are studying computer sciences to fill an I.T. position or students who are studying business administration to fill an H.R. position.
“It’s a good way for students from other areas of the college to meet with some of these employers as well,” Territo said.
Career Services began their series of virtual job fairs during the spring 2020 semester in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Like many areas that have done the same, the switch has brought forward challenges that Career Services hopes to overcome this semester.
“I think a lot of employers would have liked to have seen more participants [last semester],” Territo said.
She includes how employers and recruiters were understanding of the few participants, as the new set up for job fairs is difficult to adapt.
“It’s a learning curve for everybody. It’s not just students, its employers, it’s career centers.
“Overall, everyone’s been thankful that we are at least trying to offer opportunities and doing the best that we can to provide networking events for our students,” Territo said.
As the feedback they had received from the participating students and employers had shown that the effort to adapt to the digital format was met with success. She also mentioned that many students who attended the job fairs in the fall semester were given opportunities for a second interview or a job offer following graduation.
“Those who did attend were appreciative of the opportunities and were surprised by the amount of information that they were able to receive and learn in this type of setting,” Territo said.
As Career Services moves forward and provides these virtual job fairs, Territo hopes to raise awareness and encourage students to participate.
“This is such a great opportunity for students who are looking for internships, part time and full time jobs, and it’s a great way for them to practice networking, meet recruiters,” Territo said. “I think some students are still unsure what they want to do, so this is a great way to meet recruiters and learn about companies and might actually find something that they didn’t know, and maybe find something that they’re interested in that could be a possible job in the future.”