Fake it until you make it: the troubling tale of a school-a-holic

Laseter

Laseter

When you are a child, it seems like you cannot grow up fast enough. Flash forward, we are college students, and for many of us, we still cannot get where we want to be. Regardless of how high speed we are moving, it is still as if we are at a standstill. So, we pile more and more on ourselves until our workload is so large there is barely time to sleep at night.
So, the question becomes, how much is too much? Is attending three separate colleges at the same time, participating in your field of choice for 10 plus hours a week, all while holding down a job too much?
I am currently enrolled at three different colleges including Tarleton State University. I work a part time job and I shadow physical therapists in this area at least 10 hours a week. But as we all know, summer is approaching, which means summer courses, and summer jobs.
Now I know full time, year-round school may not be ideal for some students, but I am trying to get where I need to be and I am trying to get there fast. I know many other students feel my pain when registering for classes, and seeing that the one class you need is not available to you. That excruciating pain is what has led me to where I am now.
I am a kinesiology major, and I take classes at Tarleton during the spring and fall. During the summer and winter, I take classes at the colleges located around my hometown.
This year specifically I ran into the issue not being able to register for the math I need at my summer college because it was not offered as a summer course. So that is when I started my search for the two most important math classes of the year.
I applied to all surrounding colleges and, as I got accepted, I looked at what summer classes were being offered. When I finally found it, I was prevented from registration. I rate the mental breakdown I had as a seven on a scale of 10. After making 23 phone calls to their academic office, and coming close to harassment charges, they opened my registration. Although, that was only the beginning of this journey.
After registering for the math credits I need so, it was time to register for the chemistries I also needed, but from a different college. I called and visited a total of 17 times in the span of a week. I talked to the front desk, academic advisors, secretaries of advisors and finally, I worked my way all the way up to the Dean.
After having a 37-minute conversation with the Dean, I have been registered for my final summer courses.
Now to complete them successfully, while working a job and shadowing a physical therapist, is it too much? Will the hour drive to the chosen college on Monday through Thursday of each week be the death of me? Have I set myself up for an overwhelming summer?
This summer is filled with many questions and concerns. I do love school and everything I do that contributes to it, although at this point in my career, it might be safe to say I am a school-a-holic. I eat, breathe and dream school work.
Every day is work, work, work, work, I am tired, tired, tired, or however Rihanna says it. I know it is important to take a break here and there.
It is not always safe to keep pushing, but as my high school teacher used to tell me “if the shoe fits, then lace it up and wear it, it must be for you.”
Being passionate about school, classes and money does not make all of this come together easy, but it does make it worth it. Sometimes you must push as hard as possible to get where you need to be. Everything comes at a cost, but at the same time, anything is possible if you want it bad enough.
Having the drive, dedication and passion is what makes anything possible. Being a school-a-holic is okay with me. Being successful is okay with me. Making money is okay with me. Being out in the field of my choice is okay with me. Prioritizing school to get where I need to be is okay with me, and even if it is not okay with some of you, sometimes it must be done anyways.
“This semester has been my toughest year because I started Block One of the Teacher Education Program (TEP) and I’ve been trying to raise my GPA since August. I’ve spent a majority of my time this year in the library and I would not change a thing. My grades have gotten much better and I will finally be able to apply to the TEP this summer. I am one step closer to being a certified teacher,” JTAC Creative Editor, Blake Smith said.
Remember Texans, hard work pays off. Make the sacrifices you need to get where you want to be. Just do what feels right, and follow your dreams. Whether you move 10 miles per hour or 200 miles per hour throughout your day, just keep moving in the right direction. There is never a wrong pursuit of your dreams.
Keep your head up, keep pushing, and be the best version of yourself that you can be in your area of expertise. The journey is tough but the destination is worth the hassle. Keep pushing forward and remember to stay persistent!