Dick Smith Library announces updated hours

Hilaree Foreman/ JTAC News 2016

Rachel Crawford, Staff Writer

At the beginning of the Spring 2016 semester, the Dick Smith Library hours were officially changed to be open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday.

In 2006, the library received a referendum from the Tarleton State University Student Government Association to lengthen the hours of the library. Around this time, the library was going through a large renovation. After the renovation, the library became more popular, when the SGA saw the need for longer nights.

“It’s not just for studying, it’s for collaborating, and meeting, and you can get a lot done over here, and we try to be service oriented,” said Donna Savage, Library Director.  The library was able to extend their hours, though not until 1 a.m., like SGA originally wanted.

In May 2013, the library received another referendum asking to stay open until 2 a.m. At this time, the Learning Commons was being renovated, and many students were asking for longer hours once the renovations were complete. Once the renovations were finished in Fall 2014, the library lost key employees that would help in longer hours, so the longer hours were unable to be put in place.

The longer library hours were meant to go into place for the Fall 2015 semester, but again, the library lost two more important employees that were key in the longer night hours. But, the places were filled again, and the library was finally able to keep its doors open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, beginning in the Spring 2016 semester.

While trying to officially change the hours, Savage had to work with many different people to make it possible. Along with budget requests, she talked with the Tarleton Police Department about longer hours.

“We would all feel more comfortable, and I think the students would too, if we had a security officer,” Savage says. “While this has not happened, the Tarleton Police Department is aware of the change in hours and are here to help.”

The custodial service also had to be considered, because with longer hours, they would be affected with more traffic in the library, especially with more trash accumulating.

“The custodial has been wonderful!” Savage says. “I have to compliment SSC, because they came to the table when we needed it, and they got us the cleaning help.”

Along with the police and the custodial services, Dr. Karen Murray of Academic Affairs and Dr. Dottavio played a large role in lengthening the library hours. They listened to both the library and to the students about what they wanted and what they needed.

Because the library in now open until later, the library will not offer extended library hours. As of right now, it is too early to tell if it will affect the All Night Study sessions that is used during the finals, so they are playing it by ear on future decisions.

The Dick Smith Library is also planning new and exciting things for the future. During the second week of February, starting February 8, the library will be celebrating Library Lover’s Week. Contests will be held, and buttons and candy will be given out. The library encourages all students to come by during this week.

One of the most exciting additions to the library is the opening of The Maker’s Spot. This spot, located on the top floor, will officially open within the next month. The space will include 3-D printers, Go-Pro cameras, large format printers, and many other manipulatives and technology for any type of major.

“Anybody, no matter what your major, can have access to cool, innovative, new technology,” said Margie Maxfield, System Librarian.

The Maker’s Spot will be open to all students of all majors. The large format printers can be used to anything from posters, to presentations for research symposiums. The 3-D printers can be used for projects or just for fun. As of this moment, the prices are not finalized, but they are made to not break a student’s budget.

The Dick Smith Library looks forward to seeing more students use the library during their newly extended hours.