Freshman class sets record for retention rate

Joseph Kamin/ Staff Writer [email protected]

The freshman class of 2019 has set a retention record for Tarleton State University that the administration hopes will be the model for future classes. The fall semester of 2015 started with 1955 FTIC (first time in college) students and progressed into the spring 2016 semester with 1741 students; an 89.05 percent retention rate.

Over the past few years, Tarleton’s retention rate had been steadily increasing, for the fall 2013 to spring 2014 the rate was at 86.59 percent. However, for the fall 2014 to spring 2015 the retention rate was 84.27 percent. 

As Tarleton had been seeing an increase of the retention rate, this change in number had been a surprise to everyone in the admissions department. When asked about this changing trend, Assistant Vice President for Enrollment Management, Dr. Garza stated, “Last year was an eye opener, we broke the trend. We had the biggest freshman class we’d ever had, but it was a big jump in retention rate.”

After this decreased retention rate, the administration decided that change was needed. According to Executive Director of Academic Advising Services, Dr. Rusty Freed, that change came from an increased admission standard. Freed describes, “Last year had a progression in the entrance requirements, so in some cases a different level of student came in.”

The mindset that came with the increase of admission standards for the fall 2015 semester was this: if it was harder to get in, the students that would be able to get in would be more dedicated and determined to graduate. The recent statistics that came out from fall 2015 to spring 2015 proved that to be correct.

Vice President for Student Success and Multicultural Initiatives, Dr. Jennifer Edwards, Garza, and Reed all were all in agreement in the fact that this increased rate is not simply due to one department, and that it was the combined efforts of every department, as well as being a premier student focused institution. Examples of student focused programs are Residential Living and Learning, First Year Seminar, Transitions and Family relations.  “I wish we could go out there, point, and say this is absolutely the reason why, stated Freed. 

“But, I believe that as an institution there are things that have been done and continue to be done in order to reach out and take care of the students brought into the university.”