Diversity and Inclusion to host MLK candlelight walk

Photo courtesy: google.com

Photo courtesy: google.com

Rachel Crawford, Staff Writer

Today, January 20, the Tarleton State University Office of Diversity and Inclusion will be holding a Dr. Martin Luther King Reflective Candle Walk and Educational Experience. The event starts at 6:00 p.m. at the Barry B. Thompson Student Center and ends at 8:00 p.m. after a showing of the movie Selma.

“The whole evening’s event consists of a candlelight walk, which is going to allow us to contemplate and reflect on the history and legacy of Dr. King and many other civil rights workers,” said Dr. Lora Helvie-Mason. “We are really excited to offer after that, a showing of the movie Selma to have a critical and engaged conversation about all of the events of that era.”

This is the first year the Office of Diversity and Inclusion is hosting this event. In previous years, the office hosted a formal dinner with guest speakers, but now the goal is to connect with millennials, who seek more of a hands on, tactile approach, combining both technology and activity.

During the walk, the students will be able to hear clips of Dr. King’s speeches, and experience what it was like during the Civil Rights Movement of this era.

Helvie-Mason thinks students who participate will take away great memories, while also learning what the Office of Diversity and Inclusion does for the Tarleton campus.

“I would love to see students engaging with more content around Dr. King. I think many students learn a tiny bit in school, and then they may only know the snippets they hear repeatedly on the news around this time of year.”

After the showing of the movie Selma, a discussion will be held, while encouraging students to think critically about these events. The Office of Diversity and Inclusion wants students to understand the multi-layered nature of what his [Dr. King’s] work and his efforts mean to us, even today.

“So I would want students to take away the longstanding impact and a passion for critical dialogue and understand different perspectives and learn that it’s okay to disagree as long as we do that in an effort to really reach an understanding and engage with one another.” The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is encouraging students to learn more about the history of the Civil Rights Movement, connect with other students, and learn more about the history being made in today’s world.

Helvie-Mason encourages all students to come out this evening and participate. She also encourages students who have ideas for other events or what questions or comments about diversity and inclusion to stop by their office, Room 21 on the bottom floor of the Thompson Student Center.