Legislative session proves beneficial for Tarleton

Photo Courtesy: driveithome.org

Photo Courtesy: driveithome.org

Hilaree Foreman, Managing Editor

The 84th Texas Legislature approved a number of measures that, if signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott, will benefit Tarleton State University. Some of the measures are an increase in the General Academic Formulas to fund enrollment growth, including a modest funding rate increase, which benefits Tarleton as one of the fastest growing universities in the state, authorization of capital construction revenue bonds, with $54 million designated for an Applied Sciences building on the Stephenville campus and $39.6 million for the first building on the new 80-acre Fort Worth campus and an exceptional item allocation of $2 million for a Tarleton Center for Anti-Fraud, Waste and Abuse Research (CAFWAR). Included also was increased funding for group health insurance premiums for higher education employees and retirees.

The legislature also approved a “campus carry” bill to allow licensed individuals age 21 and older to carry concealed handguns on campus, beginning in Fall 2016. The law provides the opportunity to designate selected areas as not appropriate for carrying concealed handguns. Tarleton will use the next year to consult with faculty, staff, students, parents and others about implementing this new law.

More information about this legislative session will be provided as it moves forward.