An update from the parking committee

Hilaree Foreman, Managing Editor

This morning, Tarleton State University President Dr. Dittavio sent out the following regarding Fall 2015 parking updates and changes.

I want to provide a brief update on the status of the parking projects this summer. A number of initiatives are underway to improve the parking situation and reduce congestion on and around campus. The goal is to have all of these projects completed by the beginning of classes this Fall.

First, we are adding gates to the five largest faculty/staff lots. Ungated faculty/staff lots will have increased parking enforcement. The gates will use new proxy cards, which will speed up the entry process. These should be installed by August 1, allowing time for faculty and staff to use the system in advance of the beginning of classes.

The gates will restrict access to the lots, ensuring that those who are assigned to park there. will find easy and ample parking. After hours, the gates will go up, allowing visitors and students improved access to events and activities.

Second, we will add more than 1,000 new parking spaces for residential and commuting students this summer.

The three major projects are:

·         The All-Zone South Lillian loton the site of the former Landmark Apartments south of St. Brendan’s Catholic Church extending to McNeill Street – 212 spaces;

·         The Commuter Northwest Stadium lot, on the west side of Memorial stadium extending north from the existing parking lot along Harbin Drive – 438 spaces; and

·         The Residential North Lillian lot, north of the Century Link building along N. Lillian and Mulberry streets – 444 spaces for students in the new Integrity Hall, which opens this Fall.

All the new lots will be paved and lighted.

Additionally, small parking projects are anticipated to be completed in three areas:

·         Along the 1400 block of Shirley Street at the intersection with N. Lillian.

·         At the intersection of W. Jones and Cain streets after demolishing the former church on the site; and

·         On the sites of 1915 and 1905 W. Tarleton St., which will provide an extension to the current commuter lot adjacent to the tennis courts.

At this time, the number of spaces and the designation for those lots has not been determined, but these lots will aid in accommodating our student population.

The new parking lots more than replace the spaces lost to construction of new residence halls to the east of Memorial Stadium.

The Parking Advisory Committee will resume its work this Fall to monitor the impact of the current changes, to explore new opportunities for improving the parking situation and to make additional recommendations for parking enhancements for Fall 2016.

If you have additional suggestions or proposals to improve the parking situation on campus, the Parking Advisory Committee would like to hear from you. Please contact Police Chief Matt Welch, who chairs the group, at 254-968-9002 or [email protected].