SGA brings new outreach campaign to students

A displayed a mannequin as part of the campaign for #SGASOS.

Tarleton State University’s Student Government Association (SGA) has introduced a social media campaign aimed at increasing student access. The campaign kicked off last week, welcoming students to tag comments, concerns and issues on Twitter and Facebook with the hashtag #SGASOS.

“When Alyssa [Byrd, Student Body Vice President] and I were campaigning we placed an emphasis on creating a more visible, accessible SGA that students can easily reach to voice their concerns,” said Jay Johnson, Student Body President. “This campaign has been launched so that students will be able to reach SGA from the smart phone in their pocket at any time from anywhere.”

After JTAC News released a story describing Tarleton’s plans for further campus construction, students responded with many complaints that they felt unheard and overlooked by university leadership. Now, SGA is enabling students to reach them with a few button clicks.

“[This campaign] will serve as a means through which we can easily gather student issues,” Johnson said. “[It] is simply another tool at our disposal that will allow us to more effectively hear students’ opinions. If an issue is seen as a serious student concern via SGA SOS then we will act to find a solution just like we always strive to. Additionally, we would like to see more communication on social media and we hope this campaign will serve to facilitate it.”

When students utilize this hashtag, members of SGA will take their comments into consideration and will work to gather more input and find a solution to offer, according to Johnson.

“My hope is that students utilize SGA SOS for a number of reasons,” said Johnson, “from concerns, to compliments, to questions, so as to facilitate dialogue across campus and work to find solutions students wish to see.”

SGA SOS can be reached via Twitter (@TarletonSGA), Facebook (Tarleton State SGA) and Instagram (@TarletonSGA).