Open parking forums announced for students, faculty, staff

Addressing issues of parking was the most popular answer among students when asked what they believed Tarleton’s top priority should be in 2015.

UPDATE (Feb. 9, 2:30 p.m.): The student forum, originally scheduled for Feb. 18, will instead take place on Feb. 25.

“Among the options being discussed in the committee are changing the use for certain lots, adding more parking spaces along Harbin Road and at other locations, improving the shuttle services, installing gates for all faculty-staff lots and charging a premium price for reserved spaces within the gated lots,” said Harry Battson, Assistant Vice President of Marketing and Communications.

In the past few weeks, Tarleton State University students have responded passionately to stories and updates on the school’s plans for addressing parking. Many have called for an opportunity to have their voices heard and now, Tarleton has responded to this call.

Students, faculty and staff have been invited by the Parking Advisory Committee to attend an open public forum concerning parking.

“[We] have an open Student Forum on parking Feb. 18th at 5:15,” said Dr. Mike Leese, Executive Director of Student Life Development.

The open forum for students will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 25 at 5:15 p.m. (Updated Feb. 9, 2:30 p.m.)

The student forum will be in conjunction with a meeting of the Student Government Association and will take place in Nursing 107. This will be an open forum in which students will be allowed to share their opinions on how the committee should address parking.

Faculty and staff will also have an opportunity to attend an open forum on Feb. 18 at 2 p.m. in room 113 of the Autry Agriculture building, or at 10 a.m. on Feb. 19 in the Thompson Student Center ballrooms A and B.

“Among the options being discussed in the committee are gates for all faculty-staff lots, charging a premium price for reserved spaces within the gated lots, changing the use for certain lots, adding more parking spaces along Harbin Road and at other locations, and improving the shuttle services,” said Battson in reference to the faculty and staff meetings.