Proper role-models and accountability

Students at the FCA Gameday event.

Going through adolescence in American culture, youth deem well- known athletes who are anything but role-models, as such. The argument of “nature vs. nurture” is no closer to favoring either side of the fence, but indisputable credibility is granted to both perspectives. Actions we view most frequently are scientifically proven to be an accurate depiction of a fair amount of our future actions; because, as humans we operate by mimicking those who we view the most.

In the United States, the behavioral-template for a high percentage of children are athletes. Despite not being the primary catalyst of juvenile activity, there is substance in asserting that children emulate self-destructive tendencies (in-part) by virtue of witnessing men of “stature”, and in relative-context, athletes receive mild-sanctions for otherwise deplorable actions.

This is one reality that prompted Carrie Normand with the Stephenville Fellowship of Student Athletes (FCA) to implement the new FCA Gamedayevent in conjunction with Tarleton State University Athletics as a means to provide face-to-face interaction, and relationships with student athletes who serve as exemplary models on and off the field.

“Kids come because they know there’s a football game, and they kind of know that there is this thing called FCA, and that’s great,” Norman said. “But while they’re attending they’re also going to hear the message of Jesus Christ”.

The substantial turnout of students heard powerful testimony from Tarleton’s national champion 1500 meter track star Chase Rathke, as well as members of Tarleton’s softball, basketball, track, and football teams all of whom were ideal ambassadors for  FCA’s core goal of perpetuating a model of  high moral-stature during the inaugural TSU Gameday. In addition to FCA Game day, Normand organized the Halftime Huddle to further bridge the community during halftime at Stephenville High School’s home games.

Normand said she firmly believes local athletes, notably St. Louis Rams safety and Stephenville native Cody Davis, are pillars that only “enhance FCA’s message and further enlighten the kids”. Stephenville’s love interest with local sports is being exploited in the most positive fashion that promotes a relentless backbone for youth fortunate enough to call Stephenville home. Aside from face-to-face time with athletes or attending sporting events, Carrie Normand ended by expressing utter satisfaction for being a part of something that equips youth with  “accountability, accountability, and accountability which ultimately over the life-course is one of FCA’s primary goals.”

Based on the hefty crowd this past Saturday, it is safe to say Stephenville can anticipate great things from FCAand future leaders.