Texans fall to mustangs in home opener

Over the weekend, the Tarleton State University Texan football team hosted their home opener against the No. 18 Midwestern State University Mustangs.

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

Over the weekend, the Tarleton State University Texan football team hosted their home opener against the No. 18 Midwestern State University Mustangs. The Texans fell to the Mustangs 27-23 in their home opener.

The Tarleton State University Texan football team, coming off a 31-27 loss to the Florida Institute of Technology Panthers, were looking to rebound and regroup for Lone Star Conference rival, Midwestern State University. The Texans held the advantage, being 17-7 all-time against the Mustangs and 10-2 when playing at home.

The Texans began the game strong, with a 13-yard touchdown run from Sophomore wide receiver Dominique Martin with 8:31 left in the first quarter. The Texans led at the end of the first quarter, 7-0.

The Mustangs fired back in the second quarter, putting up a 1-yard touchdown run with 8:12 left in the second to even out the score. A 23-yard field goal from Junior kicker Blake Barnes put the Texans up top 10-7. However, the Mustangs put up an 11-yard run with just 43 seconds left in the half. The Texans were determined to not go into halftime defeated, with Barnes putting up a 49-yard field goal as time expired to cut the Mustangs lead 14-13 going into halftime.

The Texans were able to stop the Mustangs from a touchdown run in the third, but we’re unable to stop the Mustangs kicking a 32-yard field goal to extend their lead. The Texans were able to get a 30-yard field goal to cut the Mustangs’ lead to 17-16 to go into the fourth quarter.

Despite another Mustang touchdown run, the Texans were able to counter that with a 12-yard touchdown run from Senior wide receiver Clifton Rhodes III to put the Texans up 23-20 with 6:29 left in the game. However, the Texans were unable to stop the Mustangs from scoring, with MSU putting up a 9-rad run with 1:05 left in the game. The Texans were unable to counter the last minute run, falling to the Mustangs, 27-23.

Next up, the Texans (1-1 LSC, 1-2 overall) will travel to Commerce, TX, to take on the Texas A&M-Commerce Lions(2-1 LSC, 3-1 overall) on Saturday Oct. 4 at 7p.m.