Embracing the growing pains

Lura Rylant is the Sports Editor for JTAC News.

Lura Rylant/Sports Editor

The sounds of steel clashing and colliding in the early sunrise of dawn is a recurring norm for our once simple 40-acre land. Once in a grassburr you could find the foundation of our authentic school.  Once in a house you could uncover the marvelous wonders of the man who built this campus. Once one could sit comfortably on a bench and mingle with their peers discussing course dilemmas and glance at the open opportunity the rock gates bequeathed them. Once. 

The enchanted feeling you get the moment you set foot onto Tarleton State University’s campus is nothing short of the magic of Disneyland. Its red bricks direct you to the wonderful world of Poo and grant you a gift that no other university’s campus could dream of. Tarleton is a safe haven for the ambitious, the driven, the quiet and the great. It gives students the opportunity to recreate themselves in the confines of their comfort while embracing its tradition with one “howdy” and open door at a time. 

Tarleton gives us the chance to grow, but now it’s time for us to embrace her expanding boundaries and have patience with the pains of her growth. As guests into her open doors we are optimistic about opportunities given to us on a silver platter, but once the dish is served many are disgusted with the little imperfections. Why should we hate the opportunities of growth when we are a part of the history? Tarleton has helped us grow as scholars and now is the time to return the favor. 

All things good grow in time, but need a little nurturing in the process. Yes, Tarleton’s growth and construction is overwhelming and ugly, but it comes with age. She’s just in those awkward teenage years and needs her loving friends by her side looking past her imperfections. 

This stage only happens once. Once you would have to take golf carts around campus to get to class. Once you had to maneuver your way through a sea of cars that seems as if they go on for days. Once you had to walk a new route around the fence barricades because something fresh to campus was sprouting up. Once.