Texans fall to Aggies in series

Tarleton+Baseball

Tarleton Baseball

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

Over the Easter weekend the Tarleton State University Texan baseball team (21-17) hosted the Cameron University Aggies (13-21) in a four game Lone Star Conference matchup. The Texans fell to the Aggies in the first three games of the series, but won the final matchup.

On Friday, the Tarleton State University Texans were looking to recover from their road loss against the St. Mary’s University Rattlers and put themselves back in the Lone Star Conference competition. On the first game of the series, and the first of Friday’s double-header, the Texans came out hopeful. The game remained scoreless until the fifth inning when the Aggies were able to hit a homerun off pitcher Robert Baker. The Texans were unable to recover and were shut out by the Aggies at home, 0-1.

In the second game of Friday’s double-header, the Texans were hoping to redeem themselves from their shut out in the previous game. A run in the second inning from senior Garrett Kilgore put the Texans ahead of the Aggies, 1-0. The Aggies returned by scoring in the third, fourth, sixth and seventh inning, putting the Texans down 4-1 going into the eighth inning.

Runs from sophomore Andrew Jacobi and junior Noel Nevarez brought the Texans back into the game. Junior Evan Robinson was able to score for the Texans late in the ninth inning, but it wasn’t enough for a win and the Texans fell, 4-5.

The Texans returned for another double-header on Saturday afternoon. Senior Jared Musgrove got the Texans in the game early, scoring in the first inning. The Aggies, however, took advantage of the two errors committed by Tarleton, and scored six straight runs on the Texans. Musgrove was able to score again for the Texans on the seventh inning, but it wasn’t enough for a win and the Texans fell, 2-6.

In the second of Saturday’s double-header and final game of the series, the Texans were hoping to get a win out at home. The game started slow, with no runs coming until the sixth inning, when seniors Alvaro Moreno and Rustin Thomas scored one each. The Texans began to dominate the Aggies. With a homerun from Moreno and a run from sophomore Matt Olive in the seventh inning, and two runs in the ninth inning from Olive and Nevarez, the Texans rolled over the Aggies, 6-2, and came out 1-3 in the series.

Next up, the Texans will travel to Canyon, Texas to take on the West Texas A&M Buffs in a weekend three game series. They will play in a single match April 25 at 7 p.m. and a double-header on April 26 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.