Texans win in Canyon

Tarleton+Baseball

Tarleton Baseball

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

Over the weekend, the Tarleton State University Texan baseball team traveled to Canyon, Texas for a three game series against the West Texas A&M Buffs in a final Lone Star Conference road trip of the regular season. The Texans came out 2-1 in their road trip, dropping the first game 5-11, but winning the next two, 7-4 and 16-4.

On Friday evening’s double-header, the Texans, coming off a win against Cameron the previous weekend, were hoping to win on the road. Senior Garrett Kilgore got the game going for the Texans with a run in the second inning, and senior Luke Slentz added a run. For every run the Texans scored, the Buffs seemed to have three to answer. A homerun from sophomore Andrew Jacobi and a run from senior Jake Klauck in the seventh inning wasn’t enough for a win, and the Texans dropped the first game, 5-11.

In the second game of Friday evening’s double-header, the Texans were out to win. Senior Alvaro Moreno put the Texans up early with a run in the first inning. The Buffs returned with two runs in the second inning, but two more runs in the third inning from Kilgore and junior Jonathan Schmitz put the Texans up once again. With four more runs from the Texans in the fifth inning from Schmitz, Kilgore, sophomore Matt Olive and freshman Dalton Weeks, the Texans easily ran over the Buffs, 7-4.

On Saturday afternoon the Texans returned for the final game of the series, looking to win the series and raise their chances in the Lone Star Conference Tournament. The Texans came out ready to win, dominating both offensively and defensively. The Texans came out strong, scoring two runs from Weeks and Slentz. With seven runs scored in the fourth inning alone and forcing two errors from the Buffs, the Texans clobbered WTAMU for a critical win, 16-4.

Next up, the Texans will host the Texas A&M Kingsville Javelinas in a final regular season Lone Star Conference series. They face off on Friday May 2 at 3 p.m. with a double-header Saturday May 3 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.