Representatives building a house on fresh ground

House of Representatives members Kylie Raab (Engagement Team member), Eric Schultz (Speaker of the House), Geri Kline (Secretary of the House) and Jamee Bell (Engagement Committee member). Engagement Team members not pictured include Kayla Tilghman and Daniel Sonney.

While the semester is drawing to a close, members of the Student Government Association House of Representatives are revamping their branch to better serve the students and the Tarleton State University campus.

“Our main push this semester was to reestablish the house as an effective part of student government and encourage students to become more involved with legislature and campus improvements,” Speaker of the House Eric Schultz said. “We have focused on campus safety specifically by requesting more crosswalks and stop signs to be added, as well as pushing for Tarleton to discourage the use of wireless devices while driving on campus.”

Along with passing several resolutions through the House of Representatives and the Senate, leaders of the house have made a new committee to push student government into a new era.

“The House of Representatives Engagements Committee was founded by myself as well as Geri Kline, Secretary of the House, to be the leadership core for the branch and give a perspective from members of different colleges and walks of life,” Schultz said. “Even though we all have differing views, we have agreed to lay all that aside and work together for the good of the Tarleton student body.”

Schultz, and Kline hope to improve student involvement in the house by changing the culture to better suit the students.

“We want students to come up with their own ideas for resolutions so we can help get them passed and allow them to make changes to any problems or issues that they may see on campus,” Kline said. “Though I will be graduating in May, I am looking forward to amazing things to come from this group of students and organizations to benefit Tarleton.”

By gearing meetings toward the students, committee members hope this will ensure students attend as well as stay the entire length to hear all areas of legislature and announcements being presented.

“The different organizations are realizing the positive affect they can have on the small things here on campus and are getting excited about having a voice,” Schultz said. “We hope to expand student involvement and create more committees to assist students and organizations.”

House of Representative meetings are open to all students and are held every other Wednesday evening at 5:15 p.m. in NURS 107. For more information on events happening with the house or legislation being passed, visit their tab on the Tarleton SGA website.