Chance Cerda says goodbye to SGA Presidency

Chance Cerda’s term as student body president ends April 30.

Chance Cerda, as many students already know, is Tarleton State University’s current Student Body President. He is a junior majoring in Business Management, and he will be graduating in December.

Along with his commitment to the Student Government Association (SGA), he is also involved in the Baptist Student Ministry (BSM), Texan Ambassadors, and is president of a Christian small-group he helped to develop his freshman year: Tarleton Mens Society. Cerda is also involved off-campus as a big brother in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program here in Stephenville.

JTAC: How do you feel about your presidential term ending soon?

Chance Cerda (CC): Thankful. We all have seasons for everything, and this has been my season to give SGA everything I’ve got, and I have. I’ve sacrificed so much time for Student government—time with my family, my school, and my social life. I feel like I have accomplished what I was called to do, and I’ve put my time in and I’ve done what I need to do to prepare for the next group.  Some days, I get like 70 text messages and so many emails, and I love it because it means we’ve got so many things going on and it means we’re doing something right, but it can get to be a long day. I’m ready for some me time.

JTAC: What is your plan for next semester?

CC: The biggest thing is that I’m getting married next semester; Kaylee Carlile and I will be married October 18th at the Bandstand, since Tarleton is kind of how we met. This summer, I’m interning for a company in Ohio. After that, in August, I’m going to be taking all online classes to finish my last semester at Tarleton. Kaylee is from Odessa, so she’ll be there next semester, and I really don’t want us to have to be apart right before and right after we’re married if I were to stay in Stephenville to finish my classes.

JTAC: What is your favorite part about Tarleton?

CC: The people, by far. I’ve met a lot of people in my three years here, and I’ve just experienced so many people who want to serve, who want to be a part of something bigger than themselves, and who really, genuinely care about others, and I walk on other campuses and I just don’t feel that.

JTAC: What things should we expect to see from SGA in the near future?

CC: It’s hard for me to say, since it’s almost the end of my term, but we have really laid the groundwork and the foundation for SGA to reach more students.

JTAC: How is SGA doing with getting a 24-hour place on campus?

CC: Well, I’ve learned that things at a university-level move at a snail’s pace. First you have to get it approved by so-and-so, then you have to get that approved by someone else, then you have to go talk to this person or that person…It just takes forever. We’ve been actively working on this since I started campaigning over a year ago. It’s a definite need for the campus, because there is no reason that someone should have to study at say, McDonald’s at two in the morning because there’s nowhere to go on campus. We pay too much at this university to have to go off campus. It’s just moving very slowly.

JTAC: What is your spirit animal?

CC: A meerkat-lion, because I’m very curious and I’m very energetic, like a meerkat; I’m kind of ADD, so I’m a meerkat. But I’m a lion too because I’m very determined. I’m always kind, but I’m not always nice; if something needs to be said that no one else will say, I don’t have a problem saying it. I see what Student Government needs or what students need, and I go after it, so in that respect, I’m a lion. Also, lions just have great hair.

JTAC: What do you do to relax or escape from your busy schedule?

CC: Sometimes, when I feel really overloaded, I just go and play my guitar; I’ve been playing off and on since I was in 7th grade. Also, there’s nothing I love more than to go camping by myself.  There’s something about just being out in nature alone, and looking at all God has created.

JTAC: What dessert is your guilty pleasure?

CC: I really love brownies with walnuts in them, or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

JTAC:  Finally, which Disney princess do you relate to the most?

CC: I would have to say that I relate most to Snow White, because she has to deal with everyone’s crazy personalities every day.

Cerda’s term as student body president ends April 30.