Stick to the Grassburr

Grassburr Editor-in-Chief Claire Wilkison

We all have something we love about Tarleton State University; several students have told me that they love the core values, especially tradition. Yet many students neglect to remember the oldest tradition at Tarleton, the Grassburr.

The annual tradition began in 1916, a few years before the end of WWI. The title came from the inspiration of tiny “stickers” that were growing rapidly in Heritage Park at the time.  If you look at the 1916 Grassburr, you’ll plainly see that not many people attended the university at that point in time. With the lack of technology and shortage of students, the Grassburr staff created the yearbooks by hand. Every time I hold them in my hands, I suddenly feel the Texan pride that I’ve always been searching for.

After two years of working on the Grassburr and attending the university, I hoped more people would be as passionate about the yearbook as I was. Unfortunately, many students have failed to recognize its significance.

Am I wasting my time trying to create a historical piece of documentation?

My answer is no. I can proudly say that I’m here for a purpose. I stand behind the Grassburr, because it is a bridge connecting the past to the present, and our present to the future. Just as newspapers are intended to tell us the news without bias or opinion, yearbooks carry the weight of space and time without personality or editorial comment.

I dare any student to come to the Student Publications office and look at our bookshelf of Grassburrs from the past 98 years and then tell me that you don’t feel anything. Do you not feel a century of Tarleton’s history in the palm of your hand? Do you not feel the pride? The tradition? If not, why are you here?

I’m here to gain an education but I’m also here to find out who I am, and more importantly, what I’m capable of.

The Grassburr has made a complete turn within the past year. The 2013 Grassburr immediately started distributing in October. We held a Scavenger Hunt to distribute the first Grassburr and gave away more than $100 worth of gift cards. We created a Facebook, an Instagram, and we participated with SWAT at the Purple out Picnic to make sure everyone knew that we were still in the game. We distributed every day for several weeks at the library, the dining hall, and the student center. We emailed every student and faculty member several times during our distribution to let them know how to retrieve their Grassburr.

Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio was more than happy to tweet that the 2013 Grassburrs had arrived. He even made time to write my staff and I a personal note thanking us for our dedication and service. Now, I’m proud to say we only have 575 books left.

As the year progressed, my staff and I began our planning for the 2014 Grassburr. If you’re reading this editorial, you’re very lucky. This entire year, I’ve tried to make it a priority to keep the Grassburr a top secret; but as a special treat, I have some exciting news to share: this yearbook is going to be incredible because for the first time in over 60 years, the Grassburr will be in full blown color. With Nat Chittamai’s photography, David Rutledge’s cover design and graphics, and Blu Dornan’s creative artwork, the 2014 Grassburr will be the best it has ever been. I’m also honored to announce that the 2014 Grassburr will also be dedicated to the memory of 13th Tarleton President Barry B. Thompson.  

Major changes are happening for the Grassburr and I’m very honored to be a part of the history that is taking place. I’m blessed to have a staff that has as much passion for the book as I do.

So, if you’re reading this—show me that you care by picking up your 2014 Grassburr in the fall.

Above all, what I ask of you, my fellow students, is to remember why you chose Tarleton. If it was for the tradition, support your university by reading news articles written by hardworking students, and just taking the time to care about what goes on around campus.

It sure would help if students would remember to pick up their Grassburrs, too.