Student Athlete Advisory Committee raises money for Make A Wish Foundation

The Tarleton State University Student Athlete Advisory Committee is holding a two dollar raffle drawing for a chance at a “Date Night Package” . Proceeds will go to the Make A Wish Foundation.

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

Pay two dollars for a chance at 40 dollars. Sounds easy and simple enough right? While for some that might seem like a small price to pay, to the thousands of children relying on the Make A Wish Foundation, it means more than some will ever know.

Currently, The Tarleton State University Student Athlete Advisory Committee is holding a two dollar raffle drawing for a chance at a “Date Night Package” complete with a $40 Chili’s gift card and two movie tickets, with all proceeds going to the Make A Wish Foundation. Also, T-shirts were sold for $10 earlier in March as another fundraiser to benefit the Make A Wish Foundation.

The Make A Wish Foundation, which began in 1982, allows for children with life threatening medical illnesses to be granted a “wish” of their choosing. The Make A Wish Foundation grants the wish of a child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition in the United States and its territories, on average, every 38 minutes.

While many different companies and entities fundraise for the foundation, Tarleton is not the only school in our area who participates in fundraising for the cause; it is a Lone Star Conference wide initiative that every school must participate in.

In previous years for fundraisers, Tarleton has hosted “Fun Runs” and has had coolers around Memorial Stadium during football games for patrons to donate what they can to benefit the foundation.

The Tarleton State University Athletics Student Athlete Advisory Committee, led by Head volleyball coach, Mary Schindler, are responsible for this years’ fundraising for Make A Wish.

When asked about this year’s fundraiser, Coach Schindler said, “SAAC is very excited about the opportunity we have to help such a great foundation. This raffle gives us a chance to give to Make A Wish and it also gives our fans an opportunity to help and win a great prize. It’s a win-win for everyone.”

The raffle will take place on March 31 at noon in Wisdom Gym and participants do not have to be present. For more information contact Schindler at (254) -968-9542.