TexAnn softball collapse in Canyon

Both teams will be in Stephenville on Thursday at 4 p.m. to finish out the series.

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

The Tarleton State University TexAnn softball team traveled to Canyon, Texas for a four game series against the West Texas A&M Lady Buffs, coming out 0-4.

In the first game of the four game series the TexAnns, coming off a four game sweep of the Eastern New Mexico University Zias, were looking to continue their winning streak against the West Texas A&M Lady Buffs. The TexAnns were unable to come together and were shutout by the Lady Buffs in the first game, 0-9.

In the second game of Friday’s double-header, the TexAnns were hoping to pull out a win. Sophomore Lauren Grisham was able to score for the TexAnns in the third inning, but this would be the only score for the TexAnns of the game. The TexAnns were unable to stop the offense of the Lady Buffs and fell in the second game 1-11.

The TexAnns returned Saturday for the first of another double-header against the Lady Buffs. Senior Randi Fentress was able to score for the TexAnns in the fourth inning, but due to the 12 straight runs scored by the Lady Buffs in the first, second, and third innings, the TexAnns were unable to recover and fell to the Lady Buffs 1-12.

In the second game of the double header and final game of the series, the TexAnns were out to grasp a win and not fall four straight games. Freshman Erika Menchaca hit a homerun in the second inning for the TexAnns to get them in the game. Sophomores Melody Mayse and Taylor Wells and senior Bailee Mauldin were all able to score runs in the fifth inning for the TexAnns, but it wasn’t enough for the TexAnns to get a win in Canyon. The TexAnns fell to the Lady Buffs 6-14 and 0-4 in the series.

Next up, the TexAnns will travel to Odessa, Texas to take on the University of Texas at Permian Basin on Tuesday April 1 in a double header at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.