Texan baseball fall in Kingsville

The Texans came out 1-3 on their road trip against the Javelinas.

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

Over the weekend, the Tarleton State University Texan Baseball team traveled to Kingsville, Texas to take on the Texas A&M-Kingsville Javelinas in a four game series. The Texans came out 1-3 on their road trip against the Javelinas.

At Friday afternoon’s game, the Texans, coming off a win against West Texas A&M, came out strong looking for a win against the Javelinas. Sophomore Andrew Jacobi got the game moving for the Texans by scoring in the first inning. However, the Texans gave up three runs in the second and third innings against the Javelinas, giving the Javelinas a 3-1 lead at the bottom of the third inning. Senior Jared Musgrove and freshman Dalton Weeks were able to score for the Texans. Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough for Tarleton to gain a lead and the Texans fell in the first game, 3-4.

In the first game of Saturday’s double-header, the Texans were looking to even out the series against the Javelinas. Senior Rustin Thomas was able to score for the Texans in the sixth inning, but due to the relentless scoring attack by the Javelinas in the fourth inning, the Texans were unable to recover and fell to the Javelinas once again, 1-5.

When the Texans came back for the second game of Saturday’s double-header, they were looking to escape a 0-3 record in the series. Thomas was able to get an early run off in the first inning and the Texans were able to keep the Javelinas scoreless in the game taking their first win of the series, 1-0.

For Sunday’s final game of the series, the Texans were hoping to close the series out with a win against the Javelinas, but were unable to do so. Two runs from senior Alvaro Moreno and Thomas were unable to stop the Javelinas, and the Texans fell 2-4 ending the series 1-3.

The Texans travel next to Portales, New Mexico to take on the Eastern New Mexico University Greyhounds in a three game series. The Texans will play Friday, April 4 at 6 p.m. and Saturday April 5 at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.