Big honors for Tarleton head coach and student athletes at LSC cross-country meet

Head cross-country coach Pat Ponder was honored as Women’s Coach of the Year and several TexAnns and Texans placed well at the meet in Black Water Draw, New Mexico on Oct. 26.

Story:

Tarleton State University’s head cross country coach Pat Ponder was honored as the Lone Star Conference Women’s Coach of the Year and several TexAnns and Texans placed well and received honors of their own at the meet in Black Water Draw, New Mexico on Oct. 26.

Ponder has previously been awarded three other LSC Coach of the Year awards, making this his fourth honor as LSC Coach of the Year of his eight years at TSU.

“It’s always a special award because it’s voted on by the coaches. If the other coaches in this conference deem me worthy of this honor, then I humbly accept it,” Ponder said. “But I would not be in a position to accept this award without the hard work of the athletes. I’m only as good as my athletes and it’s been my privilege to coach them.”

The TexAnns finished second as a team at the Black Water Draw.  

Senior Lindsay Hinton finished first, junior Aly Coughlin finished second, sophomore Katelin Huckabee finished 12th, and freshman Audrey Shelton, finished 10th. For the men, freshman Dylan Willett finished 13th. Each earned All-LSC honors.

Shelton earned LSC Freshman of the Year, and Tye Doty was named an academic All-LSC honoree.

“Success breeds success,” said Ponder. “Our spirits are high and our practices have been good. These kids are proud of their accomplishments; as am I, but they certainly want more. They want to continue to improve and as a coach, that’s the kind of attitude you like to see.”

Hinton is the first runner under Ponder in his NCAA coaching career to earn the top individual spot. This was also the second time she has earned all-LSC honors.

“That was such a well-deserved honor for Lindsey. She worked so hard to overcome injuries and other little setbacks in her time here and it’s just really fitting for her to add this accomplishment to her resume,” said Ponder. “I’m really proud of her.”

Coughlin also was honored as LSC’s Newcomer of the Year, which is the first time a TexAnn has received this honor under Ponder during his time coaching in the conference.

“Aly has been such a great addition to our program. She’s a team person first and that peaks volumes about her. I’m very proud of her,” Ponder said.

Shelton’s honor of Freshman of the Year was also an award not previously held by a TexAnn under the coach.

“A freshman with her qualities is great for our program. She had a great season and I’m looking forward to seeing her improve and be a force in our conference for years to come,” said Ponder.

All-Conference honors are given to runners who individually place in the top 15 at the conference meet, according to a release by the LSC website. Additional awards are presented for Coach, Newcomer and Freshman of the Year on both the men’s and women’s teams.

On Nov. 9, Tarleton qualifiers will travel to Canyon to compete in the NCAA South Central Regional meet. Coach Ponder has the championships in sight.

“Our goal is to race our best and maybe it’s good enough to earn a trip to Spokane Washington to compete in the NCAA national championships,” said Ponder.

“I don’t know that I standout,” Ponder said. “But I can tell that one of the things that makes our athletes standout is team unity. You see it a lot by the way they communicate with each other on and off the course.”

In the end, Ponder said he does it for the love of enriching the student athletes’ lives.

“I love teaching athletes things that will give them guidance throughout their career and as well as their lives after Tarleton.”