UPDATED: Tarleton loses sophomore Anthony Gonzalez in head-on collision

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

Tarleton State University has been dealt yet another emotional blow with the death of sophomore Anthony Gonzalez. Gonzalez, 26, was killed Wednesday night when he collided head on with a Chevy pickup. This is the third death of a Tarleton student this week.

Gonzalez was an army veteran who served two tours in Iraq. He became certified as a personal trainer in Oct. of 2011, and worked at the TarletonĀ Rec Center for a little less than a year.

When asked about his attitude and demeanor, his coworkers at the Rec Center described him as, “Genuine about everything he did,” and, “always thought of the big picture in life and how to help others.” He was also described as a free spirit who stayed true to himself. His coworkers say they will truly miss his smile, positive attitude, and seeing him running the track every day.

“Again, the Tarleton family is facing the loss of one of our own. Gonzales, from De Leon, had a bright future after serving in the U.S. Army. He enrolled at Tarleton where he was a Kinesiology major and worked as a personal trainer at the Recreational Sports Center. The deaths of three students in less than a week remind us yet again of human frailty, the fragility of life and the imperative to understand our limited time in this world. As we remember Anthony and others who have been taken from us too soon, let us vow to live a life of integrity, honor, laughter, and, above all, love. To all of Anthony’s family and friends, know that the Tarleton family joins you in your grief. You are in our thoughts and prayers,” Tarleton President Dr. F. Dominic Dottavio said in a statement.

Gonzales’ funeral services will be held Monday, May 6, at 1 p.m. at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church in DeLeon, TX. On Sunday, his family will receive friends from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Nowlin Andres Funeral Home located at 340 South Austin Street in DeLeon. The Rosary will begin at 7 p.m.