University Singers present “Music of America”

On April 4 at 7:30 p.m., Tarleton State University’s choral program will be presenting “Music of America,” the spring concert featuring students of exceptional vocal ability. The program will feature a variety of music from various areas of the Americas: the United States, Mexico, and Canada.

University Singers is a collaboration of Tarleton students and the Cross Timbers Chorale under the direction of Director of Choirs Dr. Troy Robertson. The ensemble is open to students of all majors, which involves the inclusion of many types of people in the Tarleton community, all with the common interest of singing.

Sophomore instrumental music education major Beth Rugg regularly participates in Tarleton’s music program as a trumpet player in the Jazz band, as well as a participant in University Singers. She expressed her gratefulness for the opportunity to participate in the choir, despite not being a vocal major.

“I think it’s great that non-vocal majors can participate in an ensemble, and can

enjoy making music together. It’s a great chance to get to know people in the music department and is a great way to express ourselves through the meaning of choir,” Rugg said.

“Music of America” will take place in Tarleton’s Clyde H. Wells Fine Arts Center Auditorium. The box office will open for ticket purchase at 6:30 p.m., with the concert starting at 7:30 p.m. General admission is free with a Tarleton ID, and $5 without. Any questions can be directed to Fine Arts Operations Manager Lori Larue at (254) 968-9639 or [email protected]. Ticket information can be found by reaching Dayle Cox at (254-968-9291 or [email protected].