TexAnns finish off Lady Cardinals in season finale

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

The TexAnns faced off against the University of the Incarnate Word Lady Cardinals this past weekend to wrap up play in the Lone Star Conference. The TexAnns mimicked their Texan brothers by sweeping their series.

In game one of Friday evening’s double header, the TexAnns wasted no time getting the flow started by scoring early in the first inning. Freshman Melody Mayse scored for the TexAnns due to junior Bailee Maudlin hitting a single out to center field. The Lady Cardinals then responded by scoring late in the seventh inning to avoid a shutout. This forced an extra inning where the TexAnns prevailed 2-1.

Game two of the double header involved some big plays from Mayse once again. She got the TexAnns started by scoring in the first inning, stealing home in the fourth and, bringing a homerun in the fifth inning. Not to be outdone, Courtney Vroman bombed a homerun down center field for the TexAnns. Then, Arianna Rodriguez hit a homerun through center field, leaving the Lady Cardinals lost in the Tarleton wind. The TexAnns then began to have a field day against the Lady Cardinals, easily scoring in each inning. Randi Fentress and Eryn Freitas also scored for the TexAnns, culminating in a 9-4 victory.

The final game of the season concluded on Saturday with the Lady Cardinals not wanting to get swept in the series. The Lady Cardinals showed the TexAnns that they came out to play by scoring four runs in the fifth inning. The TexAnns rallied back from the one point deficit by scoring two runs in the seventh inning, taking the game 6-5 and sweeping the series 3-0.

The TexAnns go on to face rival Midwestern State University Friday, May 3 in Canyon at the Lone Star Conference Tournament.