TexAnns fall to Pioneers in extra inning effort

Hilaree Foreman, Sports Writer

On April 24, after a delay due to inclement weather, the TexAnns were finally able to take on the No. 8 Texas Women’s University Pioneers (19-5). The Pioneers honored a former student-athlete named Abby Burns who lost her battle with myeloid leukemia on Monday evening. The Pioneers retired her jersey to start the game.

The weather delay did not phase the Pioneers, as they took off with a 2-0 lead to start off the first inning.

Beginning in the second inning, junior utility batter Bailee Mauldin set the momentum for the TexAnns by hitting a single into center field. Shortly after, Freshman Lauren Grisham brought the TexAnns back into the game by scoring a late run at the top of the fifth putting the score at 2-1.

In the sixth inning, Freshman Melody Mayse tied the game by hitting a blazing homerun. With the score tied at two a piece, the TexAnns and Pioneers were forced into an extra inning.

At the top of the eighth inning, Senior Courtney Vroman hit a single over second base and due to the valiant efforts lead by Melody Mayse and Kelsey Latta, they were able to put the TexAnns over the Pioneers 3-2. But the plays of the TexAnns weren’t enough to stop the Pioneers, and they were blown away by a double run play from Jordan Readicker and Lizzy Kelly. The TexAnns fell to the Pioneers 4-5.

The Texanns (11-13 in conference play) go on to cap off the season with a series against the Lady Cardinals of Incarnate Word (13-11) at home this weekend.