Tarleton transfers show athletic promise

For many student athletes, the first year of college is spent at a junior or community college. When their second year starts, many transfer to larger colleges and universities. A few of them found their way to Tarleton State University for the coming 2012-2013 athletic season.

Probably the most notable transfer of the coming year is basketball guard, Daylon “Chuck” Guy. With six seniors leaving the Texans, Guy, the 5’10” transfer from Arkansas-Little Rock, has some big shoes to fill.

Before his transfer to Tarleton, Guy was the fourth best scorer his freshman season with Little Rock. In his sophomore season Guy finished second in points.

TexAnn softball is also getting their fair share of transfer students as well.

San Jacinto College yielded Ashley Noak and Jaclyn Bechtle to the TexAnn roster.

Noak, the 5-6 catcher is just as much a threat in the batter’s box as she is behind the plate. She batted 428 in the 2012 season, which included 23 doubles, 52 RBIs and two homeruns which earned her the National Junior College Athletic Association Region XIV player of the week twice, according to tarletonsports.com.

Bechtle, a 5-7 infielder also earned the National Junior College Athletic Association Region XIV player of the week. She lead the team in homeruns, hitting a startling 10 homeruns in the 2012 season. In addition to that, her 403 batting average, 44 RBIs, two triples and 13 doubles make her a double threat.

For now, the final transfer to the TexAnn softball family is Hill College transfer Tara Tague.

Tague, is described as, “a tough right-handed pitcher,” by head coach Julie Mata, according to tarletonsports.com.

Like Noak and Bechtle, Tague is as good at the plate as she is on defense. In addition to her athletic abilities, Tague was named an academic all-American at Hill College.

The team who had the biggest haul in transfer students is the Texan baseball team, pulling in five experienced athletes into the program.

First is Alvaro Moreno, an infielder from Cisco Junior College. It is not his defense that head coach Bryan Conger is looking forward to. Moreno is an experienced right-handed batter that will bring power to the offense.

Conger managed to snag two other Cisco Junior College athletes for the Texan baseball program, outfielder Rustin Thomas and left-handed pitcher Cameron Hooper.

The final two athletes that Conger added to the Texans were Lamar Community College’s Jake Klauck and Northeastern Oklahoma’s Garrett Kelly.

Klauck is a powerful left-handed batter and infielder from Broomfield, Colorado.

Kelly is a right handed pitcher who Conger described as “a very competitive strike thrower” according to tarletonsports.com.